Want to launch metro apps from web browser

Question

• Hi 

I have a metro apps installed on windows 8, now i want to launch metro apps from web browser through given link.

is there any option through java script or by any thing else?

Ravi Shankar

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 6:11 AM

Answers

All replies

• hey,

maybe you can associate your (I am assuming) metro app with a custom protocol that will be used by your (I am assuming) web page. (eg. mycustomprotocol://)

this entails the usage of Protocol Activation Extension (Protocol Activation Extension ) in your metro app. And you have to handle the event like here ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/xaml/Hh779670(v=win.10).aspx )

Hope it helps...

Can Bilgin
    Blog CompuSight

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 1:26 PM
  • Yep - you can definitely add a Protocol declaration to the manifest and give it the name of the prefix (e.g. myapp:// would be myapp). The data on the rest of the URL can be used by the app to jump to the right location within the document. Note that the browser prompts the user to see whether they are willing to switch to the app. Also note that you can inject meta data into the page to tell IE to suggest your application explicitly. See this link for details:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2011/10/20/connect-your-web-site-to-your-windows-8-app.aspx

Can's second link pretty much takes you to a walkthrough of how to get the protocol launching working though.

Mitch Denny

• Marked as answer by R.Shankar Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:12 AM
    Wednesday, June 6, 2012 3:28 PM
  • Can Bilgin

Thanks for replying.

It's helpful to me. but while i am launching Metro Apps from browser using "alsdkcs://helloworld", this is showing warning message to Allow the application.

please suggest me how can i do launch application without any warning.

Ravi Shankar

Thursday, June 7, 2012 6:12 AM
  • To be honest I don't think you can... after all you are activating a metro application from an internet page.

(note: If you used any torrent program, you will notice that when you are launching a torrent application from a link, even windows 7 asks for confirmation.)

if you were launching an app associated with a protocol from another application, you could do:

// Set the option to show a warning
    var options = new Windows.System.LauncherOptions();
    options.TreatAsUntrusted = false;

// Launch the URI with a warning prompt
    var success = await Windows.System.Launcher.LaunchUriAsync(uri, options);

But this does not apply to you since IE is dealing with the launch.

Can Bilgin
    Blog CompuSight

Thursday, June 7, 2012 8:17 AM
  • Thanks.

Ravi Shankar

Thursday, June 7, 2012 10:26 AM
  • Hi Can Bilgin

Is there are any other way to do this without Protocol Activation Extension?

Thanks

Ravi Shankar

Friday, June 8, 2012 8:50 AM