Black Screen after successful login and cannot proceed, only cursor is visible, cannot CTRL/ALT/DEL RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Insperion Dell Laptop with Windows Vista, just purchased in December of 07.  Now when I turn on computer, login successfully, instead of the start up programs running, I receive a black screen with only the cursor visible.  Cannot CTRL/ALT/DEL or get anywhere in the computer.  All I can do is turn off and on.

I was on the phone with Dell and tried F8 to restore to back versions, after multiple tries restoring back versions, still the same, I ran the start up fix, and still nothing.

Does anyone have a fix for this or know what the problem would be.  I cannot get anywhere but Function keys on power up. 

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:46 PM

All replies

• I have the almost exact same problem. This happened yesterday to me and ive searched for hours and went through a ton of solutions, non of which worked.

I tried to run explorer.exe through task manager (i can open the task manager) because i was told that could be a temporary fix for it (i really need some files off the computer) but nothing came up. I've tried restoring from previous points, didn't work. I've started in safe mode and did a SFC check, still nothing. There's been a few other things i've done that haven't helped either.

After a few horus of searching i did find a thread that told me the only way to fix it is to reformat and install vista again. This can fix the black screen but it doesn't help me with the quandry i'm facing with getting the files i need off the computer.

If ANYONE has a solution for this it woudl eb greatly appreciated.
    Monday, July 21, 2008 5:08 PM
  •  

Well, i have SOMEWHAT of a solution to this... although I do not know how to fix the black screen issue (which I also currently have), I have found that you can still use your computer to get files, connect to the internet, etc, by starting your laptop in safe mode, or safe mode w/ networking connections (which allows you to connect to the internet)...  also, thanks for the feedback about reloading vista, that's one thing I haven't tried as well...
    Sunday, August 3, 2008 5:05 PM