Install MDS Web App on IIS web server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have added the MDS feature and created its DB on SQL Server machine
    Now I want to create MDS web app. on our IIS PC with is a different machine than the SQL Server
    How to install the MDS web app. on a different server (IIS) than the MDS db itself?

regards,
    B

Friday, February 5, 2016 12:07 AM

Answers

All replies

• Please follow below link:

http://sqlblog.com/blogs/mds_team/archive/2009/12/10/installing-and-configuring-master-data-services-2008-r2-november-ctp.aspx

Please mark as answer if my post is helped to solve your problem

Srinivasarao

Friday, February 5, 2016 6:24 AM
  • My MDS is installed as part of the SQL Server install for SQL 2012
    Does this mean that I can install the MDS Web App. only on the SQL Server machine?
    I have an SQL Server machine with MDS DB installed
    Now, I want to install and configure the MDS Web App. on the IIS web server.
    There is no option while creating a new MDS Web App. to install it on a different machine.
    It this not possible? do I have to install MDS Web App. on the same machine where the MDS DB resides?
    T
    hanks!

Friday, February 5, 2016 8:57 PM
  • Hi,

You can create an MDS Web Application and associate it with a local or remote Master Data Services database. To create a web application, Master Data Services Configuration Manager must be installed on the local computer.

More information provided in following links:

Create a Master Data Manager Web Application

Associate a Master Data Services Database and Web Application

Friday, February 5, 2016 11:01 PM
  • Hi,
    RE: "Master Data Services Configuration Manager (MDS_CM) must be installed on the local computer"
    But,MDS_CM gets only installed as a feature of already installed SQL Server.  (SQL 2012Ent.)
    And I do not want to install SQL Server on the IIS computer to get 
    MDS_CM to can create the MDS Web app.
    Q: How to create the MDS Web App. on the IIS computer where no SQL Server is installed?

On: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee633752(v=sql.110).aspx
    I read: "You can separate the web server computer and database server computer
               by running Setup on only the web server computer"  >> Wat Setup?

But there is no explanation how to do this, the only 'how-to' is about "Run SQL Server Setup"
    Thanks in advance!

Saturday, February 6, 2016 10:52 AM
  • B, have you made any progress with this issue?
    Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, December 19, 2016 6:45 PM
  • Yo need to run the SQL SERVER Setup on your IIS PC and install shared components. Click perform a new installation of SQL SERVER and in the feature selection only select Shared Features Master Data Services. You can then run the Master Data Configuration Manager on your IIS PC. In the Database configuration, you can choose a local or distant SQL Server Instance for your MDS database. 
    Tuesday, December 20, 2016 9:43 AM
  • I am having a similar issue and was wondering rather than installing the MDS shared services in web server can we change MDS(installed in separate server) to point to a different web server for IIS? Or may be can I create a web application in web server without the MDS web configuration interface? If yes then am I correct in assuming the WebApplication folder in Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Master Data Services is the folder I need to copy to web server?

Thanks,

Gayatri

Monday, May 8, 2017 6:53 AM