AJAXToolKit on GoDaddy Shared Windows Server running ASP.NET RRS feed

• Question

• User1763161047 posted

I am back to this problem again.  Something that seems so simple but yet had alluded me as to how to resolve it.  In short here is the issue.  There are many functions that AJAXToolkIt would bring to my website project.  

I am running Microsoft Visual Developer 2015 on my development laptop.  And I am running IIS services also on the laptop along with SQL Server development tools.  All that is working great.  I can incorporate AJAX Toolkit and functions on a web page and they run perfectly on my laptop.   But the page then fails on my shared hosting site with GoDaddy.  I get a Parser Error.  See below;

Parser Error

Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'AjaxControlToolkit' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Source Error:

Line 1: 
    Line 2:  <%@ Page Language="VB" MasterPageFile="~/NoMenuMaster.master" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="login.aspx.vb" Inherits="logiin" %>
    Line 3:  <%@ Register Assembly="AjaxControlToolkit" Namespace="AjaxControlToolkit" TagPrefix="cc1" %>
    Line 4: 
    Line 5: 

Here is what I know which is not much but from my research.

The Parser Error is coming from the fact that AJAXToolkit is not installed and running on the hosting server.  The file that is needed is an AJAXToolKit.dll file.  That is supposed to be placed in the BIN folder.  However, I did not have a BIN folder on my hosting.  I had a cgi-ben, error_docs, logs, and HTTP does where my asp files and java files reside.  I created a BIN in the root with the other folders listed and then placed the ajaxcontroltoolkit.dll and AjaxControlToolKit.refresh files in that folder but that did not resolve the issue.

I did read where I need to give the server permission to run the dll file and that would go in my web.config file but there was not syntax or example code provided with that instruction.  

I have visited a great many pages and everyone that has it working seems to think this is a simple question.  But they never seem to offer any real solution.  Others who seem to be having the same issue have no resolutions in their post.

Is there anyone who knows how to get AjaxControlToolKit configured and running on a shared Windows Server?

Please help? 

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 8:58 PM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

mike@mikeadkins.info

However, I did not have a BIN folder on my hosting.

Your hosting provider can not change how the ASP framework works.  ASP sites must have a bin folder otherwise the site will not work correctly and you'll get errors because the site can't find the files it needs to run.  Copy your local bin folder to the site in the same level as the rest of the site files.  I suspect the issue is how you deployed the site and you might find other issues as well.

IIRC, the aging AJAX Tool Kit was installed on the target machine where it registered the required DLLs in the GAC.  I'm pretty sure there were more than one DLL but one of those DLLs might have been for the toolbox.  Anyway, ASP will look in the GAC if it can't find a DLL in the bin folder.  So, your local project might have been grabbing the DLLs from the GAC and therefore your bin folder was empty or at least missing the AJAX tool Kit.  

Expand your project references from the Solution Explorer.  Find the AJAX Tool kit references right click and select properties.  Set the "Copy to Local" to true.  Build the project. This will copy the AJAX Tool Kit DLL(s) your are targeting to your local bin folder.  Copy the DLLs to the bin on your remote site.

Keep in mind that the assemblies have version.  From GoDaddy support the installed AJAX Tool Kit version is 3.5 which might not be the same version you have configured in the web.config.

https://www.godaddy.com/community/Building-and-Managing-a-Website/Does-anyone-know-what-the-current-version-of-Ajax-Toolkit-that/td-p/48854

Again, if you put the necessary tool kit files in the bin and copy the bin to your site, the site will use the file in the bin and should start working or at lease show a different error.

You might want to contact GoDaddy about this bin folder stuff...

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 10:27 PM