none
How to create a .msi in vs 2012? RRS feed

All replies

• installshield creates setup.exe, why do you need .msi file?
    Monday, April 29, 2013 1:35 PM
  • Thanks for your quick reply!

I'm not an installation guru so if my comments doesn't make sense, please excuse me.

Some of our customers require a .msi file as their software distribution systems doesn't handle .exe files, i.e. created by Wise.

Peeter

Monday, April 29, 2013 1:43 PM
  • Hello again,

one more thing came to mind - we like it to run "quiet". Is there a switch for this .exe file to run without user interaction?

Peeter

Monday, April 29, 2013 1:50 PM
  • Thanks again.

Yes, now it creates a .msi file, but it also creates a subdirectory which holds all the nescessary files - it does not embed them in the .msi! And it has a relative path, because if I move the .msi file to another location it doesn´t find the files it wants to install.

Is there any other setting I have missed out?

Peeter

Monday, April 29, 2013 2:20 PM
  • Thanks,

but this is for vs 2010 - it has changed completely with 2012.

any help is highly appreciated.

Peeter

Monday, April 29, 2013 3:18 PM
  • i think you have to stick with msi with uncompressed files or try to use WiX
    Monday, April 29, 2013 6:44 PM
  • Hi pemok, I just switched my solution to vs2012, now I'm facing the same issue. Currently I'm trying to explore WiX. WiX 3.7 has removed support for nAnt, nAnt was a good choice for me, but now I think I would need to find some solution around msbuild. I don't like install-shield, and removal of VS deployment project from vs2012 is big big question mark on future of windows installer, I don't know what was actual reasons behind the scene,but it seems a big business deal with install-shield guys.but it made a bad impact on overall product line(visual studio and related tools). I would it is big blunder by MS. I'll let you about my findings and will also post best solution as per my understandings.

Faisal Ahmed Farooqui

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 8:12 PM
  • Hi, 

I just figured our that vdproj project is not a MSBuild project, and doesn't follow that format. It's some other kind of format that might not be fitting in visual studio any more. and this may be the reason of its removal.

I also tried Install shield Limited Edition for my application, first thig it that it doesn't import everything if you try to import from .vdproj project.

2nd and most problematic thing is that, Install shield Limited  edition doesn't allow conditions of Registry values. that's must have thing for VSTO Add-in installer.

Now only choice remains WiX. let me do some more research on it.

Faisal Ahmed Farooqui

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

Thursday, May 2, 2013 1:11 PM
  • Thank you for your interest in this matter!

Meanwhile I hereby ask Microsoft to comment on this and explain how to create a .msi file in Visual Studio 2012. Or do I need to switch back to Visual Studio 2010? I have waiting customers so an answer is appreciated.

Peeter

Thursday, May 2, 2013 1:11 PM
  • You'll want to see below articles.

Deploying Office Solutions

Windows Installer Deployment

with regards, Yuri

Thursday, May 2, 2013 1:39 PM
  • Dear Yuri, we need to create an installer in vs2012 for VSTO project.

Install shield limited edition is really very limited functionality. That I guess can not be used for VSTO deployments.

Setup and Deployment Project (vdproj file) has been obsolete and no longetr supported in VS2012.

so I am considering WiX. 

Faisal Ahmed Farooqui —————————— If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

Thursday, May 2, 2013 1:51 PM
  • Hello,

the following settings finally made it work. The only drawback is that you can't set prerequisites using this approach. Anyway, this solved it:

1) Use SingleImage as build type

2) On the Setup.exe-tab, Set "Setup launcher" = No

3) Uncheck all your prerequisites

Peeter

• Proposed as answer by Zyxious Wednesday, March 26, 2014 12:21 PM
    Monday, May 6, 2013 7:53 AM
  • Because a single, self-contained package file is the proper way to distribute software. A good packaging system tells you:

• What other packages the package to be installed depends upon.
    • What files are part of a package
    • Whether the files in the package have changed since installation
    • Whether or not the package comes from a trusted source(kind of like driver signing, but for packages)
    • On top of all that, a standardized packaging format makes it easier to have a single update source for all software. (What if windows update could update *everything* easily, rather than having a mess of different updater programs)

This is one of the things Microsoft seriously screwed up early on and they have not really corrected it yet. 

Monday, November 23, 2015 2:33 PM