Getting error when trying to run aspnet_regbrowsers.exe -i RRS feed

• Question

• User1336436939 posted

We are attempting to apply the IE10 browser fix for the .Net 2-3.5 framework on a windows 2003 development/test machine.

The hotfix fails to install b/c the files to be updated are of a later version.  The only file that gets altered is the ie browser file.

We have attempted to recompile the browser files but we keep getting the follow error.  I have not been able to find anything anywhere to help with this issue.  Has anyone see this before and if so how did you get around it?

c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\config\browsers\safari.browser(4): ASPCONFIG: Id 'Safari' has already been specified and must be unique.

Thanks in advance

BeneBane.

Monday, April 22, 2013 11:22 AM

All replies

• User-166373564 posted

Hi BeneBane

Getting error when trying to run aspnet_regbrowsers.exe -i

As we know, the ASP.NET Browser Registration tool (Asnet_regbrowsers.exe) parses and compiles all system-wide browser definitions into an assembly and installs the assembly into the global assembly cache. The tool uses the browser definition files (.BROWSER files) from the .NET Framework Browsers subdirectory.

aspnet_regbrowsers.exe –I creates the runtime browser capabilities assembly and installs it in the global assembly cache.  

You can learn more about ASP.NET browser registration tool (aspnet_regbrowsers.exe) here,

The hotfix fails to install b/c the files to be updated are of a later version. 

At the same time you should also look into this issue, and check the problem that hotfix fails to install b/c the files,

hope it helps you,

With regards

Friday, April 26, 2013 4:36 AM
  • User1336436939 posted

Angie,

Thank you for taking the time to post a reply.  Unfortunately the article is of no help.

I am trying to figure out why the Microsoft provided brower files do not compile when executing the Microsoft provided tool to do so.

We have just run into the situation where our customers have started rolling out ie 10 in force.  .Net 2.0-3.5 does not support ie 10 without applying a hotfix to update certain files (see kb article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2600100).

The hotfix does not apply because other MS related patches have been applied that have increased the version numbers of the Dlls past those included in the hotfix.

The hotfix releases:

aspnet_wp.exe 2.0.50727.5692

system.web.dll 2.0.50727.5692

webengine.dll 2.0.50727.5692

ie.browser (version not applicable).

Our server already contains

aspnet_wp.exe 2.0.50727.5710

system.web.dll 2.0.50727.5710

webengine.dll 2.0.50727.5710

ie.browser (version not applicable).

The only file that updates is the ie.browser file.

However when the aspnet_regbrowsers.exe tool is used to compile all the .browser files in the directory I get an error and the Dll will not compile.

Again thank you for taking the time to reply.

Friday, April 26, 2013 9:47 AM
  • User1767979142 posted

BeneBane, did you ever solve this?  We are having the exact same issue and would appreciate any guidance.  Thank you.

Friday, September 20, 2013 2:05 PM