Does Expression Encoder 4 support GPU hardware acceleration? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

Microsoft states that Expression Encoder uses an H.264 encoder from Main Concept.

Here it reads that an H.264 encoder of theirs use GPU hardware acceleration: http://www.mainconcept.com/products/sdks/hw-acceleration/opencl-h264avc.html

My question is: Does Expression Encoder 4 in the Expression Studio Ultimate (MSDN) variant offer that GPU hardware accelerated encoding benefit?

Best regards,

Henrik Dahl

Monday, June 7, 2010 8:59 PM

Answers

• V4 unfortunately doesn't have GPU encoding acceleration, but we're investigating options for the next revision.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 5:24 AM

All replies

• I doubt it!, maybe in an update or future version
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 4:49 AM
  • V4 unfortunately doesn't have GPU encoding acceleration, but we're investigating options for the next revision.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 5:24 AM
  • Eric,

Ok, it's a pity, but unless the general CPUs will significantly scale up in processing potential or number of cores in the meantime, this could bring a real blast.

It would be particularly appropriate if you would make it so it could benefit from multiple graphical cards in the computer. This could make Expression Encoder to really fly!!

Best regards,

Henrik Dahl

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 5:35 AM
  • I don't really see as expression as a comercially viable solution as it relies on just cpu horsepower and does not take advantage of the hardware that is present, shame as it has a lot of features... I think I will stick to Tmpeg Xpress as at least it support GPU and Spursengine acceleration, one thing about microsoft is that they don't really offer anything innovative, they let others do that job that and then wonder why there product does not sell as well try and catch up years later ..

Windows Mobile is an example, from 2002-2006 their os was running on some of the most advanced hardware on the market, but they kept the same cubersome interface, no easy access to internet/media, no hardware video acceleration, very bad web browser which was never updated... then came Iphone OS which made smartphones so much easier to use easy access to everything you need, and android offers the same to.

Then came mobile 6 which had the same cubersome interface, HTC in fact made it easier to access things wither their touch flow, then ame mobile 6.5 which is as bad and mobile 6, except their start menu is even more cubersome....

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 9:05 PM
  • This is getting completely off topic. Locking thread.
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 11:11 AM