Character Encoding support in Windows Mobile RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have some queries regarding character endcoing supoprt on Windows Mobiles. 

• The Windows Mobile API documentation suggests support for following character encoding schemes -  
      Ascii
      BigEndianUnicode
      unicode
      UTF8
      UTF7

Are these character encoding chemes available for all Windows Mobile in market?

Is Unicode character encoding available for all Windows Mobile in market?

Does Windows Mobile supports any other character encoding schemes other than these?

When it is said that “UTF-8” is supported in Windows Mobile, does this mean that all languages are covered under this character set?

Nitesh
    Monday, May 18, 2009 7:35 AM

Answers

• 1. AFAIK yes - all WM devices have these encodings.
    2. Yes, Unicode (UTF-16) is supported by all WM devices.
    3. Yes, most devices support other encodings as well.
    4. Yes, you can read and write all Unicode characters from/to UTF-8 encoding. Whatever device has fonts for these characters, can sort/compare them correctly or can display them properly (e.g. RTL) is another story and depends on device localization. Generally to display and input language ‘X’ properly you need device localized in language ‘X’ – and it has little to do with Unicode or encodings.

NETCF is using OS services for characters support.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Nitesh24 Tuesday, May 19, 2009 10:26 AM
    Monday, May 18, 2009 7:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would have thought that it is not a case of Windows Mobile supporting the character sets, it is the Compact Framework that provides the support for these character sets so as long as you have the appriopriate version of CF installed then you will have support.

I could be wrong though.

Hope this helps.

Paul Diston
    http://www.smartmobiledevice.co.uk/
    Monday, May 18, 2009 6:28 PM
  • 1. AFAIK yes - all WM devices have these encodings.
    2. Yes, Unicode (UTF-16) is supported by all WM devices.
    3. Yes, most devices support other encodings as well.
    4. Yes, you can read and write all Unicode characters from/to UTF-8 encoding. Whatever device has fonts for these characters, can sort/compare them correctly or can display them properly (e.g. RTL) is another story and depends on device localization. Generally to display and input language ‘X’ properly you need device localized in language ‘X’ – and it has little to do with Unicode or encodings.

NETCF is using OS services for characters support.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Nitesh24 Tuesday, May 19, 2009 10:26 AM
    Monday, May 18, 2009 7:50 PM
  • Thanks a lot Ilya for your quick response.
    I got all my answers from you.
    Nitesh
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 10:28 AM