none
Outlook Add-in is not getting appeared in Outlook Ribbon RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

Very Good Evening To All !

Purpose : After installing the visual studio installer the Add-in should get added under Outlook->File->Options->AddIns and under Outlook Ribbon as well as the registry entry should also be done.

I have one visual c-sharp solution, consisting of 5 Class Library projects and 1 .cpp project. This project is related to outlook 64bit add-in which will create "Content Collector" Menu under Outlook Ribbon.

The project is built successfully and after that I added 1 setup project to it referring below links - 

1. https://www.add-in-express.com/docs/net-msi-setup-project.php

2. https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vsto/2010/04/09/deploying-com-add-ins-for-64-bit-office-using-visual-studio-saaid-khan-for-nathan-halstead/

However when I install the installer, the registry entry is not done as well as Add-in is not appearing under Outlook Ribbon and under Outlook->File->Options->AddIns.

Note :

1. I already have 32bit version of code which is successfully working on 32bit version of Outlook.

2. When I create a sample Shared Add-in(template) project in Visual Studio 2010 and installs the installer then it is working fine.

Resources I am Using :

1. Visual Studio 2010 Premium edition

2. 64Bit Machine

3. MS Outlook 2013 64Bit

Please let me know what should I do, what I am doing wrong, what steps needs to be followed ?

Thanks & regards,

Sushil Sahu

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 12:41 PM

Answers

• Hello,

After some researching, it seems Outlook Extension is typical for IBM, sorry that I don't have any better suggestion, I would suggest you post on IBM forum for this issue.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Romiyo Monday, June 19, 2017 9:08 AM
    Friday, June 16, 2017 7:10 AM
  • Ok, thanks a lot Celeste for your time.

Since I am new to this forum, can you please let me know that what should I mark this post to close ? 

Regards,

Sushil Sahu

• Marked as answer by Romiyo Monday, June 19, 2017 9:07 AM
    Friday, June 16, 2017 9:25 AM

All replies

• Hello,

According to Deploying COM Add-ins for 64-bit Office using Visual Studio :

64-bit Office cannot see registration information in this location. To load your add-in automatically, this registration information will need to be copied to 64 bit registry locations for 64-bit Office to see. To do this, copy all of the registry keys under [HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\<App>\AddIns\<AddInName>] to [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\<App>\AddIns\<AddInName>].

Do you create registry keys at the location mentioned above?

According to your description, a sample shared add-in works fine, so the issue occurs for your current solution.  Could you load the add-in in VS before deployment? If you could load the add-in in debug mode, I suggest you check your deployment steps.

Besides, I suggest you create an VSTO add-in instead. VSTO add-ins are convenience to develop for a certain Office application and you could easily deploy it using ClickOnce.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 5:37 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply.

Do you create registry keys at the location mentioned above?

Answer : Actually this is an IBM product, so accordingly the registry will reside under [HKLM\Software\IBM\Content Collection\Outlook Extension].

However nothing is happening, I tried to create above registry manually also but it is not loading into Outlook.

Could you load the add-in in VS before deployment?

Answer : Yes. and I load the Add-in in debug mode.

As you suggested, I will try to create VSTO add-in also and will let you know. However I am not sure if it is there in VS 2010.

Thanks & regards,

Susil Sahu

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 2:08 PM
  • Hello Susil Sahu,

Are you developing an add-in for Microsoft Outlook? I am not familiar with IBM products, however, in my opinion, if the add-in is for MS Outlook, I think the registry keys shoule be added into [HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\<App>\AddIns\<AddInName>] or [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\<App>\AddIns\<AddInName>].

For 32bit Outlook, where do you create the registry? How do you debug the add-in for 64bit Outlook now?  AFAIK, if it is an COM add-in, we need to create the registry keys under the MS Office AddIn catalog, otherwise, the COM add-in would not be loaded when debugging. If you dont need to add registry keys manually when debugging and it is loaded, i suggest you check the where VS creates registry keys for the add-in.

To create VSTO add-ins, if you are using VS 2010, you could only create add-ins for Office2007/2010 and the Office products should be installed. To create VSTO add-ins for Office2013, you need a higer version of VS2010. From VS2012, it is supported.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, June 15, 2017 2:07 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Are you developing an add-in for Microsoft Outlook? 

Yes, I am developing an add-in in MS Outlook.

For 32bit Outlook, where do you create the registry?

Usually for 32bit Outlook we create registry at [HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\<App>\AddIns\<AddInName>] however as it is an IBM tool so its entry going to be happen at -

32Bit registry entry path – HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\IBM

64Bit registry entry path – HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> IBM

How do you debug the add-in for 64bit Outlook now?

I am not sure about Debugging, I mean what do you mean by debugging. Can you please explain me this ?

As you told, I will confirm about if it is a com add-in and where VS create registry keys for add-in. 

I have to create add-in for Outlook 2013 and versions above it or for the versions where Outlook 64bit is available from.

Where does the VSTO add-in template availabLe in VISUAL STUDIO 2010, I didn't find it ?

Thanks & regards,

Sushil Sahu

Thursday, June 15, 2017 7:52 AM
  • Hello,

>>Usually for 32bit Outlook we create registry at [HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\<App>\AddIns\<AddInName>]

If you create registry under Microsoft for 32bit, I don't think IBM tool would make any difference. We still need to create registry keys under Microsoft.

>>I am not sure about Debugging, I mean what do you mean by debugging. Can you please explain me this ?

I mean that when debugging in VS, after confirming the add-in is loaded in Outlook, you could check whether the registry keys for the add-in is under Microsoft or IBM.

>>Where does the VSTO add-in template availabLe in VISUAL STUDIO 2010, I didn't find it ?

You need to include Microsoft Office Developer Tools for your VS. If it is not available, you could go to control panel and change the installation package. Please visit Configuring a Computer to Develop Office Solutions

However, we could only create VSTO add-ins for Office2007/2010 using VS2010 and Office2007 or Office2010 should be installed.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, June 15, 2017 8:44 AM
  • Thanks a lot Celeste,

Actually it is an Outlook Extension and its not a COM-Addin. So Registry entries created should be at below path for respective versions - 

32Bit registry entry path – HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\IBM

64Bit registry entry path – HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> IBM

I already have a 32 bit version of this Outlook Extension which is called "IBM Content Collector" under Outlook Ribbon. And the registry entry for this 32 bit Outlook Extension is at this path – HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\IBM

I mean that when debugging in VS, after confirming the add-in is loaded in Outlook, you could check whether the registry keys for the add-in is under Microsoft or IBM.

Answer : I am able to build the setup project successfully in Visual Studio, however when I install the installer, the Outlook Extension is not getting loaded into Outlook as well as the Registry entry is not done. 

When I build my setup project then .dll and .msi files are created then how should I give the path of this .dll file as a value for manifest string under registry ?

Also I searched a lot however couldn't find where VS creates registry keys for the add-in.

Regards,

Sushil Sahu

• Edited by Romiyo Thursday, June 15, 2017 1:40 PM
    Thursday, June 15, 2017 10:37 AM
  • Hello,

After some researching, it seems Outlook Extension is typical for IBM, sorry that I don't have any better suggestion, I would suggest you post on IBM forum for this issue.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by Romiyo Monday, June 19, 2017 9:08 AM
    Friday, June 16, 2017 7:10 AM

Since I am new to this forum, can you please let me know that what should I mark this post to close ? 

Regards,

Sushil Sahu

• Marked as answer by Romiyo Monday, June 19, 2017 9:07 AM
    Friday, June 16, 2017 9:25 AM

Regards,

Sushil Sahu

Hello Sushil,

You could mark your last post as answer to close this thread.

If you have any issues related to VSTO add-ins or Office Object Models when developing, please feel free to post threads on our forum.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support

Monday, June 19, 2017 5:35 AM