none
AS2 MDN Set up -- Adding Async MDN Party RRS feed

• Question

• The environment has been operational for several years.  One home party exchanging EDI with multiple trading partners.  All current AS2 connections are synchronous MDN.  All configuration information for inbound AS2 is read from the AS2 header (message properties are not overridden).

Currently, one AS2 receive port, containing one static send/receive receive location, is used for all inbound AS2.  The type is http and the send and receive pipelines are AS2Send and AS2Receive.  When an inbound AS2 message is received, and MDN message goes back.

Each AS2 trading partner has their own AS2 send port, a static send/receive port as above, for outbound messages to the specific trading partner.

Now a new trading partner wants to use async MDN's.  I'm not sure how to integrate this into the existing AS2 flow or even if that can be done.  What occurs now in the existing system is that when the trading partner sends a message to us we receive the message and transmit an MDN but they never get the MDN.  When we send them a message they get the message but we don't get an MDN.

1.  Can the same home party be configured to send both sync and async MDNs?  I would suspect this would be yes, based on the fact that we are reading the header info to determine what to do. 

2.  Can the static send/receive port handle Async MDNs as well as Sync MDNs?  Since most of the material suggests that Async MDNs must be filtered to a specific send port I think not.

What filters are used to route an Async MDN?

Looking for suggestions, Thanks

Jim -- Pro Mapping in BizTalk 2009, Apress Books, March 23, 2009
    Friday, February 26, 2010 8:16 PM

Answers

• I think the answer to the first question is no. Although there is a header you receive for what the partner expects in the type of MDN, I think the BizTalk party has to be configured to the right type. You could accomplish it by having another party for handling async MDN.

You might see if the N Software adapter for AS2 can handle both sync and async MDNs based on the incoming header.

2. I think this is no too. I setup an async MDN with GXS and basically BizTalk would generate the MDN and use a send port filter with EdiInt.IsAS2AsyncMDN to send it to the outbound port back to the AS2 partner. Here is a link on the AS2 context properties for more info: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb226483(BTS.20).aspx

Thanks,

If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline
    • Marked as answer by JimDawson Saturday, February 27, 2010 5:59 PM
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 5:42 PM

All replies

• I think the answer to the first question is no. Although there is a header you receive for what the partner expects in the type of MDN, I think the BizTalk party has to be configured to the right type. You could accomplish it by having another party for handling async MDN.

You might see if the N Software adapter for AS2 can handle both sync and async MDNs based on the incoming header.

2. I think this is no too. I setup an async MDN with GXS and basically BizTalk would generate the MDN and use a send port filter with EdiInt.IsAS2AsyncMDN to send it to the outbound port back to the AS2 partner. Here is a link on the AS2 context properties for more info: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb226483(BTS.20).aspx

Thanks,

If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline
    • Marked as answer by JimDawson Saturday, February 27, 2010 5:59 PM
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 5:42 PM
  • Thanks, Ben,

That pretty much confirms my thought as well. 

FYI, we are partners with nSoftware and like to use their product, but the clients want to use BizTalk.  Till now, anyway :)

Jim -- Pro Mapping in BizTalk 2009, Apress Books, March 23, 2009
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 5:59 PM
  • This seems like a good addition to the BizTalk featureset to have the capability to do async or sync MDNs for a single party. I will ask for this feature for BizTalk vNext.

Thanks,
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 7:18 PM