none
How to set Word's ColorScheme option programatically in vb.net RRS feed

• Question

• The ColorScheme option is in the General tab of the Word Options. Can't find out where that fits into the Word or Office API

Robert Homes

Friday, June 5, 2015 11:12 AM

Answers

• Afaik there is no way to do that programmatically, you could change the registry key programmatically

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\Theme

but that would require a restart of word to take effect.

Friday, June 5, 2015 11:24 AM
  • Hi Robert,

As far as I know, word object model doesn't provide the way to do that.

Base on the Application Properties and Options members of word, we can find that there isn’t the property or option to specify the color theme.

Base on my test, the registry key path is:

Office 2010: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\Theme (value can be 1, 2, 3 …)

Office 2013: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\UI Theme.

So, you could change that key programmatically.

Regards                      

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, June 8, 2015 6:17 AM

All replies

• Afaik there is no way to do that programmatically, you could change the registry key programmatically

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\Theme

but that would require a restart of word to take effect.

Friday, June 5, 2015 11:24 AM
  • Thanks!

Tell me if you know, where can I find a list of the INITIAL settings of the Word Options?

Robert Homes

Friday, June 5, 2015 11:42 AM
  • I ran regedit and looked for the key you provided, but didn't find it. I did find this:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\General

which displayed a page full of settings, one of which was "Themes". Double-clicking on "Themes" opened an editbox which asked for a setting for "Themes", with a default value of "Themes" and nothing else. Can you suggest anything?

Robert Homes

Friday, June 5, 2015 3:27 PM
  • Hi Robert

"Themes" is a complex topic and not usually handled with the object model, although I suggest you search the term "THeme" in the object model documentation. This information will correspond to what's available in the UI, see for instance

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Apply-customize-and-save-a-document-theme-in-Word-or-Excel-da3f1e8e-2338-457c-977f-25f950016710

A "Theme" is an XML file located in the folder specified for Themes. It defines the colors, fonts, etc. for a "Design". Office comes with a number of Themes; companies can also create their own that reflect their corporate identity. See

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc964302%28v=office.12%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Saturday, June 6, 2015 7:01 PM
  • Hi Robert,

As far as I know, word object model doesn't provide the way to do that.

Base on the Application Properties and Options members of word, we can find that there isn’t the property or option to specify the color theme.

Base on my test, the registry key path is:

Office 2010: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\Theme (value can be 1, 2, 3 …)

Office 2013: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\UI Theme.

So, you could change that key programmatically.

Regards                      

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, June 8, 2015 6:17 AM