none
Selection.InsertCrossReference RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to add cross reference to a figure caption I have added before using c# and word interop.

I am using the following code:

object oRefType = WdCaptionLabelID.wdCaptionFigure;

Array items = (Array)myDocument.GetCrossReferenceItems(ref oRefType);
    // take the last one, because it was just added before
    object oRefItem = items.GetValue(items.Length);

myApplication.Selection.InsertCrossReference(ref oRefType, WdReferenceKind.wdOnlyLabelAndNumber, ref oRefItem,
                                                                       ref oMissing, ref oMissing, ref oMissing, ref oMissing);

The oRefItem contains the correct caption label plus text, but InsertCrossReference always throws and COMException "Command Failed", "ErrorCode -2146824090". I have tried already different ReferenceKinds but none of them seems to work.

Looking forward for your help!

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 9:58 AM

Answers

• Hi Cindy,

inserting the caption worked, but adding a cross-reference to this failed.

Recording a macro gave me:

Selection.InsertCrossReference ReferenceType:="Figure", ReferenceKind:= _
            wdOnlyLabelAndNumber, ReferenceItem:="1", InsertAsHyperlink:=True, _
            IncludePosition:=False, SeparateNumbers:=False, SeparatorString:=" "

So I changed my code to:

object oRefItem = items.Length;

myApplication.Selection.InsertCrossReference(ref oRefType, WdReferenceKind.wdOnlyLabelAndNumber, ref oRefItem,
                                                                       ref oTrue, ref oMissing, ref oMissing, ref oMissing);

So the ReferenceItem must be an index, then it works. Thanks a lot for your hints!

Friday, February 11, 2011 10:14 AM

All replies

• Version of Word?

Are you able to insert the caption as an end-user, in the UI? (For example, is the oRefType available in the list)

What do you get if you record a macro?

Sometimes, Word loses the caption types. This could happen, for example, if Normal.dot(m) gets damaged. So that's where I'd start the investigation.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 5:54 PM
  • Hi Cindy,

inserting the caption worked, but adding a cross-reference to this failed.

Recording a macro gave me:

Selection.InsertCrossReference ReferenceType:="Figure", ReferenceKind:= _
            wdOnlyLabelAndNumber, ReferenceItem:="1", InsertAsHyperlink:=True, _
            IncludePosition:=False, SeparateNumbers:=False, SeparatorString:=" "

So I changed my code to:

object oRefItem = items.Length;

ref oTrue, ref oMissing, ref oMissing, ref oMissing);

So the ReferenceItem must be an index, then it works. Thanks a lot for your hints!

Friday, February 11, 2011 10:14 AM