Cant verify custom domain name RRS feed

• Question

• I've set up a custom domain (matching our corporate domain) in Azure Active Directory, I have registered the TXT and MX records as required and can see these when I complete a DIG lookup or similar, however, Azure cant verify the domain. 

After looking on various posts, this could be a shadow domain or the domain is already in use. 

I dont believe we already have a domain set up, as I would likely be the one that would set it up. 

If there anything I can check to get the Azure verify problem resolved. 

Monday, February 25, 2019 11:13 AM

Answers

• Just to make sure that I was clear you won't have to delete / recreate it a couple of times. Just on portal.azure.com keep trying to verify as soon as you get the error. Best bet is to open a service ticket with Microsoft since they have tools to ensure everything is working properly. You'll want to get with the Identity team. Here is how I would word the ticket to get the best response. <o:p></o:p>

I am trying to verify the domain xxx@domain.com. We are using this (service i.e. godaddy) and have recreated and deleted the TXT records multiple times. The error Unable to verify domain name. Ensure you have added the record above at the registrar 'xxxxxxxxx.com', and try again in a little while. and when clicking on the bell it gives me this error 'Verify Domain Name' Failed to verify domain name xxxxx.com. <o:p></o:p>

This gives them enough info. If the domain is verified in a different tenant that is managed, you may have to do an internal takeover. Though if it is an un-managed tenant it would be the same process as you are currently doing. This is where sometimes I have seen it get hung up and it can take up to 10 times of pushing the verify domain back to back very quickly to verify. <o:p></o:p>

Tuesday, February 26, 2019 3:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This could happen if your domain has been already verified before with other tenant, maybe that happen before for some kind of testing.

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/office/Check-domain-registration-2fb6d097

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2812881/error-message-when-you-try-to-verify-a-domain-in-office-365

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. My blog:http://cloudskillz.wordpress.com/

Monday, February 25, 2019 11:26 AM
  • What is the error that you receive on the top right hand side with the bell on the portal?

If it just says that you cannot verify or a random error. Try re-adding the domain multiple times. I have seen this take several attempts to take effect. I know this is a pain to do but it works. One last thing to do is make sure that host name matches correctly as this has prevented people from verifying a domain and the TXT. 

Though if the domain is already verified follow Mohamed instructions as they are correct. 

Monday, February 25, 2019 2:18 PM
  • Hi, 

Thank you for your suggestions.

Its certainly possible someone has been testing, but I would suggest its unlikely, I'll certainly ask around though. 

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/office/Check-domain-registration-2fb6d097

Unfortunately the script errors as per below. 

The property 'value' cannot be found on this object. Verify that the property exists and can be set.
    At C:\Users\admbhasa\Desktop\o365_check_registered_domain.ps1:49 char:5
    +     $ie.document.IHTMLDocument3_getElementById("cred_userid_inputtext").value= $ ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [], RuntimeException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PropertyNotFound

You cannot call a method on a null-valued expression.
    At C:\Users\admbhasa\Desktop\o365_check_registered_domain.ps1:50 char:5
    +     $ie.document.IHTMLDocument3_getElementById("cred_password_inputtext").click( ...
    +     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvokeMethodOnNull

The property 'value' cannot be found on this object. Verify that the property exists and can be set.
    At C:\Users\admbhasa\Desktop\o365_check_registered_domain.ps1:51 char:5
    +     $ie.document.IHTMLDocument3_getElementById("cred_password_inputtext").value  ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PropertyNotFound

You cannot call a method on a null-valued expression.
    At C:\Users\admbhasa\Desktop\o365_check_registered_domain.ps1:53 char:5
    +     $ie.document.IHTMLDocument3_getElementById("cred_sign_in_button").click()
    +     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvokeMethodOnNull

There is a sub-post that points here but i'm not sure how to use this

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/tip_of_the_day/2017/02/16/cloud-tip-of-the-day-use-powershell-to-check-domain-availability-for-office-365-and-azure/

The second link provided I dont believe is relevant the Error message I receive is

'Unable to verify domain name. Ensure you have added the record above at the registrar 'XXXXXXXX.com', and try again in a little while.'

Tuesday, February 26, 2019 8:32 AM
  • Hi,

The message I get is as below.

Unable to verify domain name. Ensure you have added the record above at the registrar 'xxxxxxxxx.com', and try again in a little while.

The TXT and MX records have been live for about 4 days now so i'm assuming everything should be in sync. 

I'll try a few more delete / recreations on the domain and will post an update. 

Message on the Bell was

'Verify Domain Name'

Failed to verify domain name xxxxx.com

Tuesday, February 26, 2019 8:34 AM
  • I've deleted / recreated the custom domain a couple of times now. I can see the TXT record has propagated from the different online services I've used to check this. 

The issue still remains. 

Tuesday, February 26, 2019 10:13 AM
  • Just to make sure that I was clear you won't have to delete / recreate it a couple of times. Just on portal.azure.com keep trying to verify as soon as you get the error. Best bet is to open a service ticket with Microsoft since they have tools to ensure everything is working properly. You'll want to get with the Identity team. Here is how I would word the ticket to get the best response. <o:p></o:p>

I am trying to verify the domain xxx@domain.com. We are using this (service i.e. godaddy) and have recreated and deleted the TXT records multiple times. The error Unable to verify domain name. Ensure you have added the record above at the registrar 'xxxxxxxxx.com', and try again in a little while. and when clicking on the bell it gives me this error 'Verify Domain Name' Failed to verify domain name xxxxx.com. <o:p></o:p>

This gives them enough info. If the domain is verified in a different tenant that is managed, you may have to do an internal takeover. Though if it is an un-managed tenant it would be the same process as you are currently doing. This is where sometimes I have seen it get hung up and it can take up to 10 times of pushing the verify domain back to back very quickly to verify. <o:p></o:p>

Tuesday, February 26, 2019 3:41 PM
  • Thanks all for your help. 

MS confirmed that there was an unmanaged tennant using the same domain name (Another team in the business had been playing), although unverified, this unmanaged tennant still existed. 

After taking ownweship of the unmanaged tennant, I could then delete the domain and subsequently verify the corporate iteration of the domain. 

Monday, March 4, 2019 10:37 AM