User defined functions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,
    My question is: May I extend Stream Analytics Query Language with custom functions, for example like in HdInsight Hive I can write user defined function(UDF)?

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 11:05 AM

Answers

• This is not supported in the current version.  Unlike HDInsight, Stream Analytics is a multi-tenant service --- you do not need to get your own cluster to run queries.  This means that running jobs in Stream Analytics is cheap and easy (we think).  But it also means that supporting custom code presents difficulties.

Out of curiosity, could you describe what kind of user-defined functions your situation calls for?

Thanks!

--Lev

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 6:30 PM

All replies

• This is not supported in the current version.  Unlike HDInsight, Stream Analytics is a multi-tenant service --- you do not need to get your own cluster to run queries.  This means that running jobs in Stream Analytics is cheap and easy (we think).  But it also means that supporting custom code presents difficulties.

Out of curiosity, could you describe what kind of user-defined functions your situation calls for?

Thanks!

--Lev

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 6:30 PM
  • A few examples which typically involve either custom code or calls to external/3rd party services:

- Reverse IP lookups 

- custom serialization/deserialization for other formats

- Device detection based on browser user-agent

- identifying synthetic traffic such as bots / probes / monitors

- custom hashing algorithms (murmur3) or other similar number-crunching algos

Thursday, November 6, 2014 12:29 PM
  • Thanks, these are great suggestions for us to look into!  For now, the best path is to do these lookups prior to publishing events to Stream Analytics, and then have us to the rest of the job.

Thanks,

--Lev

Thursday, November 6, 2014 4:38 PM