Architectural help needed RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I have to propose architecture for a internal application of pharma company.
    They have an existing dotnet 1.1 based windows application.
    Now they want us to make a new application based on dotnet 3.0.

Note:Existing application will work along with new application

Functionalitites to implemented are
    1. Workflows in the new application has be share data and emails with the existing application.
    2.New application can be built in windows or web
    3. Connect with SAP system.

I am thinking of proposng a WPF and WCF based system, so that we can have workflows ,better UI, moving to web application without changing anything in code.

Not sure and need your help about the following:

1. Will the workflows created in the new system would be able to be intiated,get data and get send/receive
    emails from other(older) system.If yes, how these workflows should be created and published e.g.will those(workflows) be exposed as webservices or what..
    2. Is WPF in release state and do it have all needed add-ons for visual studio.

Cheers

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 1:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on your explanations i'll try to answer you questions the best way i can.

The use of the .NET Framework 3.0 is already decided, because the new version the 3.5 is really the best if your going to start the development and is already released in the final version.

As for the use of WPF, WCF and WF lets see:

- WPF: is now on a stage that it makes the User Experience clearly better and it has a very good controls from Microsoft Partners like Infragistics, Component One, Telerik and so on, but the usage of Expression Blend to make the User Interface is not always the best, but it's something I think you can live with if you count with this tight up front

- WCF: Is the best way to make communication between several systems, protocols, and it has a very interesting programming model, and so you should definetly use it.

- WF: A real workflow framework that can give you the capabilities you need to performe workflow activities and processes

Now your case:

1. The workflow created using the 3.0 versions don't have the ability to be exposed as Web Services embedded in them, and the receiving from other services is not the best, and that was why I started by asking if the version of the .NET Framework was already decided because version 3.5 already has this and so this will solve your problems. As for the emails send/receive from other systems are not a problem, and of course the workflows can be exposed as Services, by using WCF Services. In 3.0 there was also a possibility to have the Workflows published as WCF Services but was needed to do everything by hand, and in the latest version this is automatic.

2. WPF is really good, and apart of the previous reminders I gave you, there's no problem using it. It's completely inside of .NET 3.5 and is part of the new VS2008 not as and Add-In but as a feature for this product. On the VS2005 the use will always be by using Add-ins that will remain on Beta releases.

Hope this answers your question.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 7:19 PM

All replies

• 2. Visual studio 2008 / .NET 3.5 has been released 2 days ago (Epress ed. for all, Pro only for MSDN subscribers). So you have both a stable version of WPF and all the design tools needed. WPF is available in express editions also, WF does not.

Thursday, November 22, 2007 10:44 AM
  • Hi,

Based on your explanations i'll try to answer you questions the best way i can.

The use of the .NET Framework 3.0 is already decided, because the new version the 3.5 is really the best if your going to start the development and is already released in the final version.

As for the use of WPF, WCF and WF lets see:

- WPF: is now on a stage that it makes the User Experience clearly better and it has a very good controls from Microsoft Partners like Infragistics, Component One, Telerik and so on, but the usage of Expression Blend to make the User Interface is not always the best, but it's something I think you can live with if you count with this tight up front

- WCF: Is the best way to make communication between several systems, protocols, and it has a very interesting programming model, and so you should definetly use it.

- WF: A real workflow framework that can give you the capabilities you need to performe workflow activities and processes

Now your case:

1. The workflow created using the 3.0 versions don't have the ability to be exposed as Web Services embedded in them, and the receiving from other services is not the best, and that was why I started by asking if the version of the .NET Framework was already decided because version 3.5 already has this and so this will solve your problems. As for the emails send/receive from other systems are not a problem, and of course the workflows can be exposed as Services, by using WCF Services. In 3.0 there was also a possibility to have the Workflows published as WCF Services but was needed to do everything by hand, and in the latest version this is automatic.

2. WPF is really good, and apart of the previous reminders I gave you, there's no problem using it. It's completely inside of .NET 3.5 and is part of the new VS2008 not as and Add-In but as a feature for this product. On the VS2005 the use will always be by using Add-ins that will remain on Beta releases.

Hope this answers your question.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 7:19 PM
  • Thanks a lot Nuno for such a long and elaborative reply.

Your explanation gives me a lot of inputs for the present and future projects.

God bless you.

Cheers

MossUser1

Monday, November 26, 2007 7:31 AM