none
How to map a Project field to a Sharepoint List Column for synchronization RRS feed

• Question

• I have a question with syncing project 2010 and sharepoint.

How can I map a MS Project-Field like 'PSP-Code' to a Sharepoint Column with the Title 'PSP-Code' when the Column is already present!?
    When I try to add the filed in Manage Fields I get an error '....incorrect name, Column already present...'
    Is it not possible to map the PSP-Code to a sharepoint column which is already present?

Any ideas?

Best Regards,
    Alex.

Thursday, August 11, 2011 3:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• Not sure what exactly you're trying to do....but why don't you use BCS to
    pull the field as an External Content Type into SharePoint?

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 4:13 PM
  • Hi, thank you for your reply.

To manage the synchronization from SharePoint lists to our external project management system we have implemented different custom Content Types which are derived either from Item or Folder. Some of our customers are working with MS Project and want to import their projects to SharePoint (and from there to our external system). To get the projects synchronized to our system and back, we have to follow some defined rules. The imported Tasks from MS Project must get a correct Content Type to manage the synchronization to the external system. One of the rules to manage this is that we have to have a valid PSP-Code.

This is a working scenario, the problem is that the first time you synch a list to MS Project and back with the field PSP-Code added, the PSP-Code column will be added to the SharePoint list. Problem: The next time you export the list to MS Project the field PSP-Code cannot be tied to the SharePoint list because it is already present (manage fields in MS Project).

Friday, August 12, 2011 9:17 AM
  • Hi Alex,

Could you give clear precise steps please?  I am able to use the Sync to Tasks List and Manage fields to get a local custom field (Text1 - renamed as PSP-Code) and sync data with a column in my list.  I have also tried creating the new column from the sync process from Project Professional and this works too - and syncs again without a problem.  Perhaps I'm missing something or using a slightly different process?

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 6:21 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Brian,

i have added some screenshots....

Best regards,

Alex.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 1:30 PM

• Wednesday, August 17, 2011 1:31 PM

• Wednesday, August 17, 2011 1:31 PM

• Wednesday, August 17, 2011 1:32 PM
  • Thanks Alex - you are starting in a slightly different place.  I'll work through your steps and see what I can find.  It will not be right away, but I should get to it later today.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 1:47 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Alex, I think the problem is using the "Feld Hinzufugen" (Add Field)  option - so it is trying to add the field.  If on that dialog you just click in the PSP-Code field you can then select Text1 in the left hand column and it will then be selected for sync too.  No need to use Add Field.

Let me know if this works for you.

Best regards,

Brian.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 7:33 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Brian,

Any help for this?

Here is an additional related issue. If you create a SP2010 project list, then open it in Project2010, then go to "Manage Field" for sync'ing back to the SP List. Then add a new field, say "Milestone", then do a sync. What happens is a new field is created in the SP List called Milestone. OK, this is awesome and so far great.

But now the problem....Close the Project, then go to the SP List and re-open it in Project. Now the Milestone field we just mapped before is no longer mapped. In addition, if you try to select which Project field to map it back to, Milestone is not in the list. You can only pick from TextX or NumericX. So then you think, OK, I will just add the field mapping back in. However; when you try to use the Milestone a second time, it give the error Alex is having above. In addition, it is not possible to delete a prior added field. So you can't delete the first failed mapping and try again.

Something is seriously broken here as the mappings should persist. It would seem the SP2010 list needs a setting to say how to map a field out to Project, then Project would honor that mapping and send back. At this point, we are not able to bi-directional sync common fields like priority, status, WBS, and milestone.

Maybe this was fixed in the latest Office patch??

• Edited by Brian Peal Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:36 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:34 PM
  • Hi Brian,

I think it will help to understand this is a Project feature and not a SharePoint feature (that is where the Manage Fields is held and where the mapping is persisted.  WHen you opne again from SharePoint it is just opening the list in Project again - from scratch, but it does know it has an extra column (Milestone).  If in your repro steps you saved your plan from Project Professional to an mpp file then you could re-open this file and you would see the mapping still there.

You could think of it as 2 way sync - as long as you always sync from Project.  SharePoint does not know anything about the project plan.  Nothing is broken here (so no fix), as long as you accept the limitation of the feature.

Best regards,

Brian.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:52 PM
    Owner