none
Ping loops... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.   I've now seen this in both EAS 2.5 and 12.0; there are cases in which I will send a Ping command with a folder, then immediately have the Ping return with status 2 (changes in the folder), but the next sync on that folder shows no changes.   This behavior then continues for a LONG time, causing performance and battery life issues.   Is this a known problem?  Are there workarounds?

Thanks,

BHAssoc
    Monday, August 3, 2009 7:31 PM

Answers

• Marc,

I do not have sufficient information to be able to assist you at this point. I need more information to debug this issue. To proceed, I need more detailed logs regarding this behavior. The following are instructions on gathering detailed ActiveSync logs that may be helpful.

Gathering Detailed Logs on the Server

On the client access server that is servicing the request, modify the web.config file located at: \Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ClientAccess\Sync.

Modify the value of the key “MailboxLoggingEnabled” to “true” as highlighted here:

<appSettings>

<!-- Disable Mailbox Logging by default-->

<add key="MailboxLoggingEnabled" value="true"></add>

This will allow you to go to OWA for the user after the failure has occurred, and download the logs for the EAS communications with the client device (Options, Mobile Devices)

The logs will be delivered as a text file attachment to the inbox of the user.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please note that Windows Mobile has client-side logging. The location of the setting may be different based upon the version of the client OS.

We need to capture the error happening from initial synchronization to be able to isolate the failure and determine if this is a bug we can present to our Product Group for a fix. Otherwise, analyzing from behavior happening at some random point in time with no previous logging information minimizes our ability to determine the nature of any code fix.

Dominic Salemno

Protocols Team

Senior Support Escalation Engineer

Friday, September 18, 2009 2:59 PM

All replies

• Note that the same issue was discussed in this thread, but there was no resolution noted.  I am now aware of THREE developers who have been hit by this problem.   Could you please look into it?

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/os_exchangeprotocols/thread/f2236bde-9fb3-4535-8165-ddeba9b475f9

BHAssovc
    Monday, August 3, 2009 7:37 PM
  • Good afternoon - and thanks for contacting us. One of my colleagues will be in touch with you soon to assist.

Regards,
    Bill Wesse

Escalation Engineer
    Monday, August 3, 2009 8:05 PM
  • Hi BHAssoc,

Just to state our support guidelines up front -   Support for Exchange Server Protocols fall under the Interoperability Principles.  Interoperability Principles covers client protocols to interoperate with Exchange Server 2007 and greater.   The version of Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) that are supported by this forum are 12.1 and greater.

If you require additional support for earlier versions of EAS, such as 2.5 that ships with Exchange 2003, this is handled as a paid service engagement with Microsoft Partner Advantage Services (MSPA).

Having said that, if, as indicated, you are experiencing this problem with EAS 12.0 then I propose the following action plan for the EAS 12.0 scenario, in order:

1)      If you have any Anti Virus software installed please “uninstall” it and retest.  “disabling” the Anti Virus software is not sufficient since the software runs as a filter driver in kernel, so you must uninstall it to be sure it is not causing the symptom.  Related KB, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827615

2)      If the problem persists after uninstalling any Anti Virus software then please capture a Verbose ActiveSync log and forward it to dochelp@microsoft.com

Regards,
    Mark Miller
    Escalation Engineer

US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM

Tuesday, August 4, 2009 5:49 PM
  • Thank you, Mark.

Could you please send me (or point me to) instructions for capturing a "Verbose ActiveSync" log?

BHAssoc
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 7:05 PM
  • Greetings BHAssoc,

I am the engineer who has taken ownership of your issue. Based on the previously mentioned article as a reference, do you have anti-virus software installed?

Dominic Salemno
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 1:20 PM
  • No antivirus software...

So here's what I'm seeing today with one account.   This is an Exchange 2007 server, no antivirus software.

After a few hours of normal Ping operation, I send a Ping command with two mailboxes - Inbox and Contacts.   Inbox reports no changes; Contacts reports changes (status = 2).  I sync Contacts, and get back a status = 1, but no changes..   This behavior continues indefinitely.

Any ideas?

BHAssoc
    Monday, August 10, 2009 5:24 PM
  • BHAssoc,

I am investigating this and shall follow-up with you shortly.

Dominic Salemno
    Monday, August 10, 2009 6:59 PM
  • I realize there's a mistake in my earlier post; when I sync Contacts, I get back a status of 2 (changes found, not 1), but there are no changes...    This repeats indefinitely.

Marc
    Monday, August 10, 2009 7:17 PM
  • BTW, it's doing this right now.   If anyone were interested/able, I could give you the credentials, syncKey, deviceId, etc. and you could see for yourself.

Marc
    Monday, August 10, 2009 7:23 PM
  • Marc,

I am still investigating this issue. I will update you as things progress.

Dominic Salemno
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 5:13 PM
  • Thanks, Dominic.   As I said, I have a mailbox that is doing this currently for Contacts; I could give you the relevant information, if you wanted.   There's nothing secure/personal in the account (it's testing only).

Marc

Thursday, August 13, 2009 5:47 PM
  • Marc,

Could you send the information in question to dochelp@microsoft.com?

Dominic Salemno

Monday, August 17, 2009 5:22 PM
  • Marc,

I have received the requested information and am continuing to investigate this. I will update you as things progress.

Dominic Salemno.
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 6:03 PM
  • Marc,

I am still continuing to investigate this particular issue. I shall update you shortly with more information on gathering detailed protocol logs.

Dominic Salemno
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 5:33 PM
  • Marc,

I do not have sufficient information to be able to assist you at this point. I need more information to debug this issue. To proceed, I need more detailed logs regarding this behavior. The following are instructions on gathering detailed ActiveSync logs that may be helpful.

Gathering Detailed Logs on the Server

On the client access server that is servicing the request, modify the web.config file located at: \Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ClientAccess\Sync.

Modify the value of the key “MailboxLoggingEnabled” to “true” as highlighted here:

<appSettings>

<!-- Disable Mailbox Logging by default-->

<add key="MailboxLoggingEnabled" value="true"></add>

This will allow you to go to OWA for the user after the failure has occurred, and download the logs for the EAS communications with the client device (Options, Mobile Devices)

The logs will be delivered as a text file attachment to the inbox of the user.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please note that Windows Mobile has client-side logging. The location of the setting may be different based upon the version of the client OS.

We need to capture the error happening from initial synchronization to be able to isolate the failure and determine if this is a bug we can present to our Product Group for a fix. Otherwise, analyzing from behavior happening at some random point in time with no previous logging information minimizes our ability to determine the nature of any code fix.

Dominic Salemno

Protocols Team

Friday, September 18, 2009 2:59 PM