none
Customize context menu for projects crashes VS2015

Question

• I just installed VS2015 with update 3 on a new desktop which was installed last week with Windows 8.1 and it's fully patched.

I'm trying to customize the context menu that is displayed with you right click projects, but when I go to add a command or menu item, VS2015 crashes. Incidentally, the list of items is empty (which it shouldn't be).

I've tried a repair as odd as that seems since this is a brand new install and the same issue persists.

Thanks,

Adrian

Monday, October 24, 2016 7:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Adrian,

In my side, VS2015 Enterprise version 14.0.25431.01 Update 3. I have customized two options command and menu, please refer to the following screenshot:

Then I could click custom command via right click the project name, please refer to the following screenshot:

So this issue happened in your side when you added which command or when you add every command?

And I suggest you could do:

1). Open the developer command for prompt for VS2015 and do the following actions one by one:

devenv.exe /ResetSettings

devenv.exe /ResetAddin

devenv.exe /ResetSkipPkgs

devenv /SafeMode

After every above step, the issue also exists, please refer to the following steps to observe the event logs.

2). Please refer to the following steps:

Click Start->Right-click This PC->More->Manage->System Tools->Event Viewer->double-click Application

Then all logs of applications are displayed in list box. Please view whether has logs of Visual Studio.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 7:52 AM
  • So this issue happened in your side when you added which command or when you add every command?

This issue happens when I try to add any command or New Menu.

The specific context menu that I'm trying to modify is "Project and Solution Context Menus | Project" which is the context menu that is displayed when you right click a Project or Solution in the Solution Explorer tree. At this point I was simply trying to move the Refresh button that was added down so that Build and Rebuild are the first options. Just so you know, I already suspected an issue because when I go to edit this context menu, my list is empty which is wrong. It should list all the context menu options that are there by default.

I followed your steps and in each one it crashed as soon as I clicked New Menu or if I clicked Any Command when I selected a command and tried to add it except for /ResetAddin which isn't a valid argument.

/ResetSettings

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9LTXVn4kUkOTVZyM09NblFBM2s/view?usp=sharing

/ResetSkipPkgs

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9LTXVn4kUkOU2lRbENDZzEyRFk/view?usp=sharing

I was finally able to customize the context menus without crashing in /SafeMode, though in this mode various windows showed exceptions in their window (Pending Changes, Subversion Info, Team Explorer), but I guess those are expected in SafeMode ? In SafeMode my list is also populated with the default items that I normally see in the menu.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 1:30 PM
  • Hi Adrian,

We start VS in safe mode (devenv /SafeMode), which could prevent all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution.

So you could customize the context menus in safe mode, then in safe mode please uninstall any plug-ins as possible. Click Tools->Extensions and Updates-> installed-> uninstall the plugins as possible (in them may be some one impact customize context menus).

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 2:44 AM