Desktop and ARM

General discussion

• I have just read this article http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-to-drop-desktop-app-from-windows-8-arm-tablets/11325

It has me a tad worried.  I was under the impression that win8 ARM would have a desktop.  It just would only be able to run code compiled against an ARM platform.  From that I understand (or at least, understood) selecting "ARM CPU" in my project properties in VS instead of "x86" or whatever.

But now there seem to be rumors that the desktop as a whole wouldn't be part of the ARM version.  This is incredible.  And not in a good way.

Especially not since in the demo back in june, an ARM device was demoed which DID have a desktop.  Not only did it have a desktop, it WAS running word.  And the opened page was printed.  It was stated explicitly that it was live code.

Microsoft, I assure you that IF you the rumor above turns out correct... the only result it will have will be that ARM devices will be immensly unpopular.

WINDOWS is why people buy windows. 

Also, removing the desktop from ARM devices will only further fuel the idea that you should have left windows as-is and should have built a windows metro mobile instead.

The more we progress in this win 8 story, the more I feel like you simply don't know where you want to go with all this yourselves.  I mean, if you really are going to decide this late in the game to remove everything we recognise as being windows... then what the hell are you doing?

I advice you to come forward asap to shed light on this issue.  Especially if the rumor isn't true.

At our company, we are about the start planning our strategy for the coming years.  Mobile computing and NUI is included therein.  I'm positive a LOT of other companies are thinking of doing the same.  How do you expect us to make informed decisions - or even simply choose for msft - if we don't know what your plans are?  Worse even, how do you expect us to bet on your platforms, if you give us the impression that you don't even know what your plans are?

Clarification... please.

Friday, December 2, 2011 12:24 PM

All replies

• I can't point to anything definate, but my impression has always been that the Desktop Interface, and therefore all legacy (current) Windows apps, would NOT run on devices using an ARM processor.

Seeing the article you posted and also the below comment from another article, I am still under the impression that if you want to run Windows 8 and expect any software you currently own to actually work, then you should avoid ARM based devices like the plague.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57333614-92/windows-8-makes-intel-very-very-happy/?tag=mncol;cnetRiver

..."Those comments followed a question about the ARM architecture. Otellini argued that Windows 8 on ARM will have a few natural disadvantages—notably support for legacy applications."

Friday, December 2, 2011 7:16 PM
  • Paul Thurrott has updated his web site with the following:

"Immediately after discussing this topic on this week's Windows Weekly, however, I heard from another source, this one close to the software giant, who said that this wasn't his understanding at all, and that ARM-based Windows 8 versions would indeed include the Windows desktop too. So, I happen to trust both of these people, which further underscores the haziness of this issue. And thus, I can't say with any certainty what's going on. I will say two things, however. One, Microsoft should come clean earlier rather than later. And second, ARM-based Windows 8 devices should be devices, not PCs. And they should not include the Windows desktop."

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/paul-thurrotts-wininfo/wininfo-short-takes-december-2-2011-141488

The point is moot if Windows 9 removes the desktop completely.

• Edited by I-DotNET Friday, December 2, 2011 7:20 PM Changed font size to normal
    Friday, December 2, 2011 7:19 PM
  • As I've stated, I didn't expect software I own today to work on an ARM platform.

But I did expect .NET to be ported and VS giving me the ability to compile my project against an ARM CPU.  I mean, .NET is supposed to give me an abstraction of the underlying hardware - so I don't see why that would be a problem.

And as also stated, msft themselves DID demo word on ARM. 

So I really don't understand what the problem is. The live code allready existed at least partly back in june.  They literally made a big deal out of it that a desktop was included.

Monday, December 5, 2011 8:57 AM
  • "ARM-based Windows 8 devices should be devices, not PCs"

I disagree with Thurott completely, obviously.  I don't see a single reason not to include it.

The point is moot if Windows 9 removes the desktop completely

Never gonna happen.

Monday, December 5, 2011 8:59 AM
  • The point is moot if Windows 9 removes the desktop completely

Never gonna happen.

Cite, please?
    Monday, December 5, 2011 9:54 AM
  • Cite, please?

I don't think it needs further clarification.

Or do you plan to run Visual Studio, Photoshop, Office, 3dMax, SAP or any other big productivity suit in metro style with 40pt fonts and buttons the size of my thumbs?  Good luck with that.

Let's be serious please.  The desktop paradigm ain't going anywhere unless a viable replacement is included.  And no, metro is not a viable replacement.

Monday, December 5, 2011 3:54 PM
  • Just because Metro is not a viable replacement for the desktop doesn't mean that Microsoft doesn't think so.
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 9:07 PM
  • Hence this topic...  :-/
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 1:40 PM