limit or page odata feed in power pivot for excel RRS feed

• Question

• My question is simple.

So I just downloaded Power Pivot from www.powerpivot.com (I also got to this forum from there)

I played around with trying to import some data from stackoverflows odata feed:

http://data.stackexchange.com/stackoverflow/atom

Now when I preview the tables and try import lets say Users, I dont want all the users!! Isn't there a way I can somehow filter the data before the import from within power pivot?

The other option of course would be adding some query parameters to the feed url itself and importing from that url right?

Regards

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 7:41 AM

Answers

• Yeah, I could see it was a feed, but I just couldn�??t connect.

Anyway, with a decent machine, even a few million won�??t faze it. PowerPivot is a great tool for what you are looking at, it will be far more efficient than any other method to get the data. Grabbing it in PP and then pivotting it, extracting tables, and so on, you can build a useful solution.

Give it a whirl, play with it and see.

HTH

Bob

"gideonisrael" wrote in message news:9857b7e2-db72-450e-aea1-360bb5b31598@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Thanks so much for your reply.

The link was an odata feed.

I just read somewhere someone loaded a very large feed sufficiently quick. But will excel slow down even with a few million records?

I was considering recommending PP as a simple Business Intel. tool. I already expose my data over a wcf data service/odata.

My clients need a way to basically pull data into excel and I was planning to write a whole module to export batches of data into csv or something!!

PP seems like a great solution for this right?

• Proposed as answer by Raymond-Lee Monday, January 17, 2011 3:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by gideonisrael Monday, January 17, 2011 3:46 AM
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 9:39 PM

All replies

• I couldn�??t connect to that feed myself, but the point of PowerPivot is that you can bring in all the data, and then you can filter that data in the PP window, and/or filter it within a pivot table. Many options, and the efficient data compression means it is not the problem bringing in lots of data as it is in Excel standard.

HTH

Bob

"gideonisrael" wrote in message news:c53a23ac-2d32-47a9-88a9-0188db0f13e5@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

My question is simple.

So I just downloaded Power Pivot from www.powerpivot.com (I also got to this forum from there)

I played around with trying to import some data from stackoverflows odata feed:

http://data.stackexchange.com/stackoverflow/atom

Now when I preview the tables and try import lets say Users, I dont want all the users!! Isn't there a way I can somehow filter the data before the import from within power pivot?

The other option of course would be adding some query parameters to the feed url itself and importing from that url right?

Regards

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 9:57 AM
  • Thanks so much for your reply.

I just read somewhere someone loaded a very large feed sufficiently quick. But will excel slow down even with a few million records?

I was considering recommending PP as a simple Business Intel. tool. I already expose my data over a wcf data service/odata.

My clients need a way to basically pull data into excel and I was planning to write a whole module to export batches of data into csv or something!!

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 2:07 PM
  • Yeah, I could see it was a feed, but I just couldn�??t connect.

Anyway, with a decent machine, even a few million won�??t faze it. PowerPivot is a great tool for what you are looking at, it will be far more efficient than any other method to get the data. Grabbing it in PP and then pivotting it, extracting tables, and so on, you can build a useful solution.

Give it a whirl, play with it and see.

HTH

Bob

"gideonisrael" wrote in message news:9857b7e2-db72-450e-aea1-360bb5b31598@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Thanks so much for your reply.

I just read somewhere someone loaded a very large feed sufficiently quick. But will excel slow down even with a few million records?

• Proposed as answer by Raymond-Lee Monday, January 17, 2011 3:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by gideonisrael Monday, January 17, 2011 3:46 AM
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 9:39 PM