FBWF RRS feed

• Question

• If I do an "Fbwfmgr /disable", does it delete the existing Write-Through list? What happens to the Write-Through list?

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 7:52 PM

Answers

• Thank you for your explanation.

I assume you don't have an on screen keyboard available.

Will disabling the use of the recycle bin be a viable solution to your problem?

HOW TO: Bypass the Recycle Bin When You Delete Files and Folders in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320031

Thursday, March 20, 2008 8:55 PM

All replies

•  

The Write through list is preserved. When FBWF is turned back on, all the write throughts are still there.

-Sean

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 12:32 AM
  • Ok....The Recycle Bin is now part of the Write trough list. If I delete a file from a Write through folder, I get the error message "Error Deleting File or Folder". That's what I get when the Recycle bin is protected and not part of the Write Through list.... what does that mean?

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 6:30 PM
  • I have never tried adding the Recylce Bin, but the Recylce Bin might be part of the condiftions that FBWF cannot support.

If you do a shift-delete of a file, it should go away and by-pass the Recylce Bin all together.

Can you explain a little more of your application and what needs to be deleted?

-Sean

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 7:21 PM
  • Sean,

The system uses a touchscreen instead of a keyboard and mouse. If my users are to delete files, how do they do that? That is why I tried to place the Recycle Bin on the Write Through list.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 7:31 PM
  • Using the shell to delete the file actually results in a move. The move operation accross protection boundaries is not allowed with FBWF.

So your solutions are:

1. Use Shift-Delete as Sean mentioned when using shell.

2. Use cmd shell to delete file which doesn't not move the file to the recycle bin.

3. Add recycle directory to write-through list (never tried but it seems to work for you)

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 7:56 PM
  •  

Now, I understand the problem. Touch screen only. Adding the Recycle bin to the write through is not working. I will have to let Milong and the XPe team look into this futher.

-Sean

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 8:04 PM
  •  

I need to change 3.

Adding the recyle bin to the write-through list will cause deletes to fail because it means the file is being moved accross protection boundaries and that is not allowed with FBWF.

Please do explain what you are trying to delete and why you have the Recyle Bin in the write-through list.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 5:12 AM
  • Milong,

My application does not use keyboard, it uses a touchscreen. I am open to suggestion on how to delete files.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 12:19 PM
  • Please do explain what you are trying to delete and why you have the Recyle Bin in the write-through list.

Thanks

Thursday, March 20, 2008 7:08 PM
  • Milong,

If I was using a keyboard, it would be easy to delete file(s) from the Write Through list by using the SHIFT-DELETE keys. But I am not using a keyboard, the system uses a Touchscreen. Let's say I create/save a .txt file on a Write Through folder, how do you suggest I delete the txt file?

Not knowing that much about FBWF,  I was playing with the Recycle Bin for file deletion. Again, suggest to me how to delete files from Write Through list.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 8:16 PM
  • Thank you for your explanation.

I assume you don't have an on screen keyboard available.

Will disabling the use of the recycle bin be a viable solution to your problem?

HOW TO: Bypass the Recycle Bin When You Delete Files and Folders in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320031

Thursday, March 20, 2008 8:55 PM
  •  

"Will disabling the use of the recycle bin be a viable solution to your problem?" I am not sure I understand. In my case, it does not matter wheter the recycle bin is protected or unprotected.

"I assume you don't have an on screen keyboard available.", that is not an option.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 9:09 PM
  • If you follow the instructions from the link, deleting from explorer will no longer move files into the recycle bin.

Then you can delete files without error.

If this works for you, you should also remove the recycle bin from the write-through list.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 9:15 PM
  •  

I will look into it and report back.

Thanks

Monday, March 24, 2008 12:51 PM
  • The Bypass works fine.......thanks for your help

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 12:38 PM
  • I tried with /RECYCLER
    and it works for me!
    Friday, March 13, 2009 2:55 PM