Visual Studio Community 2015 not creating web pages when publishing RRS feed

• Question

• User-1439823989 posted

Using Visual Studio Community 2015, I've started an office manual with the intention of making it a file system web site located in a shared folder location. When I use the Publish Web App command, however, all it does is copy the files from my build location to the network. I don't get any web pages that my coworkers can browse. Is the program not working, am I not understanding what it is supposed to be doing, should I have used a different program to make the manual?

Any help is appreciated just please be aware that I know zip about coding and I don't want to be installing software on every machine in the office to make this work. Thanks.

Friday, October 21, 2016 6:03 PM

Answers

• User409696431 posted

A file system HTML web site is not a web application, it's a website.  To create that in Visual Studio 20015, you'd create File -> New -> Website, and select Asp.Net Empty Website, and pick a folder where you want it to be created.  It will be created with only one file, the web.config.  Delete that - it means nothing without a server, and won't be used for HTML pages.

To create HTML pages, right-click on your site in the Solution Explorer, Add New Item, and select HTML page.  Make sure you use relative links if you aren't actually using a server.  Browsers can follow those on file system pages.

When you are working in a website, not a web application, and you have a page open, you'll see the Website menu, and under that you'll have "Copy Website".  That's how you'd publish your site - to a server or to a file system.

(For an HTML website, you might find the free Expression Web 4 to be a better choice of editor: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36179 )

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2016 12:28 AM

All replies

• User409696431 posted

If you are creating a web application, it needs to be hosted on a server, not just stored in a file system.   So the first step in answering your question is:  What, exactly, are you doing?  What are you really creating?   Are you really just trying to create some HTML pages (which could be read by a browser without a server)?

Friday, October 21, 2016 7:10 PM
  • User-1439823989 posted

I am not trying to create a web application. I really am just trying to create some pages that can be read by a browser.

Monday, October 24, 2016 8:57 PM
  • User409696431 posted

A file system HTML web site is not a web application, it's a website.  To create that in Visual Studio 20015, you'd create File -> New -> Website, and select Asp.Net Empty Website, and pick a folder where you want it to be created.  It will be created with only one file, the web.config.  Delete that - it means nothing without a server, and won't be used for HTML pages.

To create HTML pages, right-click on your site in the Solution Explorer, Add New Item, and select HTML page.  Make sure you use relative links if you aren't actually using a server.  Browsers can follow those on file system pages.

When you are working in a website, not a web application, and you have a page open, you'll see the Website menu, and under that you'll have "Copy Website".  That's how you'd publish your site - to a server or to a file system.

(For an HTML website, you might find the free Expression Web 4 to be a better choice of editor: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36179 )

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2016 12:28 AM
  • User379720387 posted

Expression Web is that still alive and actively supported by Microsoft?

Don't think so.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 11:44 AM
  • User409696431 posted

Expression Web 4 is the last release, but that does not mean it is not a very useful HTML site editor.  If you are not using asp.net, the overhead of Visual Studio is a bit much. There is nothing about EW not being supported that prevents it from working.  The last release is completely free, doesn't need a license and won't expire.

I use VS for asp.net (most of my work), but for straight HTML sites I use Expression Web.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 10:09 PM
  • User-1823088829 posted

Microsoft has been working on a project that include html editor beside a lot other languages (loaded by demand) that you can give it a try:

Visual Studio Code

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 10:48 PM
  • User409696431 posted

Visual Studio Code is not a substitute for Expression Web, with its CSS tools, Design View, and publishing tools.  It is, as its name implies, for working in source Code.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 12:12 AM