none
Visual 2008 is getting stuck while converting VB6 code. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,<o:p></o:p>

I need help with this, I am able to successfully convert few of the VB6 component to VB.NET but one of the component is not able to as it is getting stuck in the process of converting and nothing happens. Even I tried with visual studio command prompt and upgrading message stays forever without doing anything. Please help me on this.<o:p></o:p>

Thanks in advance!!

Friday, October 27, 2017 2:03 PM

All replies

• Historically speaking it's less desirable to convert from classic visual basic to VB.NET then it is to start a new solution in VB.NET and begin this way, otherwise you are not taking advantage of the .NET Framework along with memory management of the .NET Framework.

Some believe they will convert then slowly change things in code to .NET Framework yet that usually never happens e.g. "good intentions can often lead to unintended consequences".

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

• Proposed as answer by Frank L. Smith Friday, October 27, 2017 3:06 PM
    Friday, October 27, 2017 2:22 PM
  • any help to get rid of the error that I am getting.
    Friday, October 27, 2017 7:42 PM
  • any help to get rid of the error that I am getting.

Is it getting stuck or is there an error?

Either way, you will need to provide much more detail about your problem if anyone is to assist.

Friday, October 27, 2017 8:20 PM
  • No error, just gets stuck.
    Friday, October 27, 2017 9:13 PM
  • No error, just gets stuck.

Then you need to provide much more detail about what is happening.  For instance, what is the component that is causing the problem, where in the process does it get stuck, what is the conversion log, what was the result when you removed that component before doing the conversion, and so on.

• Proposed as answer by Cor Ligthert Saturday, October 28, 2017 11:38 AM
    Friday, October 27, 2017 9:47 PM
  • I agree with Karen.

If you are going to replace a VB6 app it is better to rewrite from scratch rather than try to convert.

Even if the convert works, the app is likely to be slower than the original VB6 app.

Rewriting gives you 2 further options, you can decide whether it is really worth replacing the original app and you can decide what language to use, you are no longer limited to just VB.Net.

Microsoft support VB6 programming (VB6 Support StatementVB6 Programming IDE Installer)

Saturday, October 28, 2017 11:51 AM
  • Thanks all, we have planned to rewrite this component.. 
    Monday, October 30, 2017 12:54 PM

• Even if the convert works, the app is likely to be slower than the original VB6 app.

Rewriting gives you 2 further options, you can decide whether it is really worth replacing the original app and you can decide what language to use, you are no longer limited to just VB.Net.

Sometimes I think you understand it, but then:

That slower is a false statement, even converted with Option Strict on a VB for .Net program with Option Strict On goes 10 times faster than VB relying on a VB runtime because it avoids late binding.

If you write something new you are not only limited to VB. You are not even limited to the hardware you use then. 

Be aware Karen is focusing on Component, you cannot add code made with .Net to an antique VB runtime.

However if it is really about the VB code alone without for instance Win32 apis and 3rd party compentents the code in VB is less changed between VB7 and VB15 then between VB5 and VB6.

Success
    Cor

Monday, October 30, 2017 5:33 PM