none
RTF Appointment body Outlook 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am working with a VSTO Add-in for Outlook 2013. The add-in updates the appointment body using a thirdparty library and everything is fine so far with Outlook 2013. When I tried to validate the Add-in for Outlook 2016, I realised that the RTF body language is different (MS-OXRTFEX) and encapsulate htmltagN into the RTF for a the reconversion in HTML.

Is there any library (free or paid) which could read a an Outlook appointment body version 2016 update a section and generate the correct RTF to be save back to the appointment?

Assistance will be much appreciated.

• Moved by Fei Hu Monday, December 4, 2017 8:38 AM From C# forum
    Saturday, December 2, 2017 4:31 PM

All replies

• Hi Salim,

According to your question is more related to Outlook, I will move the thread to Outlook for Developers Forum for suitable support.

If you have some grammar or code errors in using C#, please feel free to contact us. We will try our best to give you a solution.

Best Regards,

Neil Hu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 4, 2017 8:37 AM
  • Hello,

We do not third party library and are unable to suggest any third party resources.

Do you get any error or is there any issue when you use Office PIA to read or generate RTF body of appointment?

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 2:33 AM
  • Hi Celeste,

Thanks for your answer. The add-in works fine and the RTF generate is fully compliant with RTF specifications and is well interpreted by Outlook 2013. The issue is related to Outlook 2016 which creates an RTF with tags from html:

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\fromhtml1 \fbidis \deff0{\fonttbl
    {\*\htmltag19 <html xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:m="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">}
    {\*\htmltag34 <head>}
    {\*\htmltag161 <meta name=ProgId content=Word.Document>}

Such htmlTag are ignored by RTF readers (e.g. wordpad) and but used by Outlook to reconvert back the text into html format when displayed in the appointment.

My question is: Which MS library can I use to read and modify this text that most RTF parser will simply ignore?

From RTF Spec:

htmlNTag: "Keyword indicating that the destination is an encapsulated HTML text (to be ignored by RTF readers, but used during reverse RTF->HTML conversion). This keyword is followed by a numeric parameter containing encapsulation flags."

Thursday, December 7, 2017 3:49 AM
  • Anyone?
    Friday, December 8, 2017 5:23 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for the information. We supports issues when using Outlook Object Model. After researching, i only find documents about open specifications, i think no library could be used to edit the new rtf. 

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support

Friday, December 8, 2017 9:34 AM
  • Thanks Celeste. Do you how I can still achieve the intended objective (read and edit the new RTF format)?
    Sunday, December 17, 2017 4:43 AM
  • Hello,

I will suggest you contact the Microsoft professional support for this issue.
    For creating an incident, you could
    1. Open https://support.microsoft.com/en-my
    2. Get More support->Developers
    3. Developers->Visual Studio, Microsoft imagine, BizSpark and WebsiteSpark->Microsoft Technical Support
    4. Select Office Professional Plus 2016
    5. Select the third option I use it as an IT Professional, developer or Microsoft partner->Next
    6. Create an incident

Hope it will help.

Regards,
    Celeste

MSDN Community Support

Monday, December 18, 2017 8:27 AM