What it is call when the return is nothing? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello fella. 

I had selected * from table and the result is nothing and I wonder what is it call? And in the C# what is it call?

Saturday, January 6, 2018 7:19 AM

Answers

• Hello,

When a query don't return a result then it's simply an empty result set with just the meta data of the result set. Example which works in every SQL Server database:

select *
    from sys.objects
    where 0 = 1;

The result is always empty because of the used WHERE clause.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Saturday, January 6, 2018 7:29 AM
  • Hello fella. 

I had selected * from table and the result is nothing and I wonder what is it call? And in the C# what is it call?

Sorry didnt understand. If you mean what you would mention it as, its empty resultset.

C# also you will call the same.

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue
    Visakh
    ----------------------------
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

Saturday, January 6, 2018 7:36 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hello,

When a query don't return a result then it's simply an empty result set with just the meta data of the result set. Example which works in every SQL Server database:

select *
    from sys.objects
    where 0 = 1;

The result is always empty because of the used WHERE clause.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Saturday, January 6, 2018 7:29 AM
  • Hello fella. 

Sorry didnt understand. If you mean what you would mention it as, its empty resultset.

C# also you will call the same.

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue
    Visakh
    ----------------------------
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

Saturday, January 6, 2018 7:36 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi HuyDung123,

I’m not quite following, could you please elaborate more about it so we can have better understanding?

>> I had selected * from table and the result is nothing and I wonder what is it call? 

You may share the complete query and its corresponding result, as well as your desired result with us. Besides, what does “is it call” mean?

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Hannah

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 8, 2018 6:59 AM
    Answerer