none
Ability to resize QuickPart Gallery? RRS feed

• Question

• Good day,

I understand there are restrictions to modifyin the ribbon in for MS Word 2007; however is it possible to resize an item that was saved to the QuickPart gallery? When you save an item, click Insert --> QuickPart the drop down items display in a big panel/box.

Thanks in advance...

Friday, May 6, 2011 9:07 PM

Answers

• Hi CoolShaw

Mmm, no, it's not possible to change built-in controls. You'd have to construct your own "Text" group, in which you could use all the other controls as they are, but a custom QuickParts menu. Include the built-in gallery and other buttons, and then you can add your own. However, I do see a "Document Properties" entry in that drop down, after the gallery. And if I'm remembering correctly, any buttons must follow such a gallery - can't precede it. So I'm not sure how much you'd gain...

How about if you could "filter" the gallery, so that there'd be fewer entries? Maybe some checkboxes or something in the Ribbon to specify what the user wants at any particular moment? Or context-sensitive (depending on where they are in the document)?

You could distribute the Building Blocks across multiple template "containers", then your add-in could load/unload the Building Block templates according to the "filter"?

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by CoolShaw Tuesday, May 10, 2011 1:24 PM
    Sunday, May 8, 2011 8:00 AM

All replies

• Hi CoolShaw

I'm not sure I understand what it is you want to do, but no, I know of no interface that allows you to change any aspect of this built-in control. The width and length of that dropdown list are controlled by Word, alone...

Saturday, May 7, 2011 10:07 AM
  • Good day Cindy,

Thanks so much for your prompt responses!

My desire is to decrease the size of the preview panel. So when you clicke Insert --> Quick Parts the pulldown list displays and the preview window (which displays the text of the added item to the gallery) is quite large and a lot of whitespace. We have many items in the list so the list is long and you need to scroll down.  We'd like to minimize the size of that window.

Optionally, is there a way to add a new menu item to that quickparts menu, like for example the Document Properties menu?? For instance have something like: Insert --> QuickParts --> My Custom Menu item --> and list displays Item1, Item2 Items3....?

Thanks in advance...

Saturday, May 7, 2011 10:31 PM
  • Hi CoolShaw

Mmm, no, it's not possible to change built-in controls. You'd have to construct your own "Text" group, in which you could use all the other controls as they are, but a custom QuickParts menu. Include the built-in gallery and other buttons, and then you can add your own. However, I do see a "Document Properties" entry in that drop down, after the gallery. And if I'm remembering correctly, any buttons must follow such a gallery - can't precede it. So I'm not sure how much you'd gain...

How about if you could "filter" the gallery, so that there'd be fewer entries? Maybe some checkboxes or something in the Ribbon to specify what the user wants at any particular moment? Or context-sensitive (depending on where they are in the document)?

You could distribute the Building Blocks across multiple template "containers", then your add-in could load/unload the Building Block templates according to the "filter"?

• Marked as answer by CoolShaw Tuesday, May 10, 2011 1:24 PM
    Sunday, May 8, 2011 8:00 AM
  • Thanks so much Cindy.  I appreciate all your assistance. This item can/will be marked as answered.
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 1:23 PM