none
Office 2003 Compatibility Pack Bug??? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been looking on the TechNet site and I can't find any solution to this problem. I have Office 2003 Compatiblity Pack for the 2007 Office system with the 12.0.4518.1014 version

The issue is that when you have a WORD 2007/2010 file and you password protect the document for Track Changes or Formatting or Forms and then you open the document in WORD 2003 with the Compatibility Pack installed, the password protection does not hold. In fact it appears that the protection is not set at all. This is a really BIG breach in security as far as WORD is concerned. I have tried every possible option (even putting the protection on using Word 2003), and nothing works.

The only soution that I have for this is to save the files that you want to protect in 97-2003 file format. This is hardly a viable solution, since you are now opening up the the document for unwanted changes. I find it hard to believe that Microsoft wants this type of bug to occur, creating a vuneralbility that requires saving it down to a lower version, thus making all the new features unavailable for use when protecting the document.

If I am incorrect and there is a Patch/Fix or something that I missed out there, I apologize and would request information pertaining to such Patch/Fix. Thank you for your time.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 12:23 PM