none
UWP Windows Store app SNI options? RRS feed

• Question

• We have a UWP app that uses TLS (client-side) and our intention is to publish it to the Windows Store. One of our additional requirements is that it leverage SNI (we have Android and iOS versions of our client which are able to trivially leverage SNI through their built-in APIs).

Our application is written in (mostly) C# and in its existing form, it uses the StreamSocket class from UWP. Challenge #1: I have been unable to figure out how to use SNI with the UWP-approved StreamSocket class. In fact, I haven't been able to find a way to use Schannel-based TLS (as opposed to OpenSSL- for historical application reasons switching to OpenSSL would require a certification process) inside a UWP application, save for writing our own managed classes that leverage Win32 (see below). If someone knows a way, I'd be greatly appreciative if you could provide the answer.

As a workaround for not being able to use StreamSocket, I borrowed some sample Schannel code and put some managed C++ classes around it so our C# UI could use it. My challenge now is that because the C++ code uses secur32.dll, it apparently isn't allowed on the Windows Store.

Any help or feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

Thursday, November 7, 2019 1:25 PM

All replies