Database log RRS feed

• Question

• Is is possible to view the log file as a text file ? What is actually I want to do is that to get at what time an update or insert query applied on a table. The database is in Fully logged mode and I got the Daily basis full backup, 1 hour basis differencial backup and 15 mnts basis trnsaction log backup.  The updation or insertion may occured inside a stored porcedure. 
    asharafmail@gmail.com
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 2:11 PM

Answers

• Hello asharaf

It is not possible natively to view the contents of the transaction log.

There are 3rd party tools that allow you to do this, but none from Microsoft.

HTH

Ewan

If you have found this post helpful, please click the 'Vote as Helpful' link under the star. If this post answers your question, click the 'Mark As Answered' link below. It helps others who experience the same issue in future to find the solution.
    • Marked as answer by Ashru Tuesday, May 26, 2009 9:50 AM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 3:04 PM
  • You cannot view log file as text but there is third party tool Apex SQL Log by which you can read the log file

Thanks,
    Nimit

• Marked as answer by Ashru Tuesday, May 26, 2009 9:51 AM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 4:17 PM
  • As already mentioned in previous posts there are third party tools available to explore TL log. But i always wonder why we can not have LOGMINER of oracle equivalent in SQL Server.  THis is very much required for an audit purpose.

Madhu
    MCITP, MCTS, MCDBA,MCP-- Blog : http://experiencing-sql-server-2008.blogspot.com/
    • Proposed as answer by MSSQL DBA Tuesday, May 19, 2009 6:51 AM
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 1:21 AM

All replies

• Hello asharaf

It is not possible natively to view the contents of the transaction log.

There are 3rd party tools that allow you to do this, but none from Microsoft.

HTH

Ewan

If you have found this post helpful, please click the 'Vote as Helpful' link under the star. If this post answers your question, click the 'Mark As Answered' link below. It helps others who experience the same issue in future to find the solution.
    • Marked as answer by Ashru Tuesday, May 26, 2009 9:50 AM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 3:04 PM
  • You cannot view log file as text but there is third party tool Apex SQL Log by which you can read the log file

Thanks,
    Nimit

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 4:17 PM
  • Nimit can i find out at what time i have update table my table has been updated + what kind of operation by T'SQL

regards
    Ravendra

india
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 2:34 PM
  • yes you can see what time updated see how it works here

Not a free tool and demo is available but only every 10th row is recovered from demo version

Thanks,
    Nimit
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 3:11 PM
  • There is no documentation about the internals of the log, so there are only some vendors supporting that. Nevertheless, the unsupported DBCC LOG statement can help you to take a sneak peek view in the log.

-Jens

Jens K. Suessmeyer http://blogs.msdn.com/Jenss
    Friday, May 15, 2009 8:18 AM
  • As already mentioned in previous posts there are third party tools available to explore TL log. But i always wonder why we can not have LOGMINER of oracle equivalent in SQL Server.  THis is very much required for an audit purpose.

Madhu
    MCITP, MCTS, MCDBA,MCP-- Blog : http://experiencing-sql-server-2008.blogspot.com/
    • Proposed as answer by MSSQL DBA Tuesday, May 19, 2009 6:51 AM
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 1:21 AM