none
When do I use .NET Core? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Microsoft today released .NET Core 1.0.  

Compared with the traditional .NET Framework 4.*, and the newly acquired Xamarin framework (running on Mono), when should I choose to use .NET Core in my project?

Monday, June 27, 2016 10:20 PM

Answers

• Hi meechao,

>>"when should I choose to use .NET Core in my project?"

Thank you for your post. The short answer is from now on.

NET Core is the biggest transformation of .NET since its inception and will define .NET for the next decade. We’ve rebuilt the foundation of .NET to be targeted at the needs of today’s world: highly distributed cloud applications, micro services and containers.

.NET Core is a new cross-platform .NET product. The primary points of .NET Core are:

• Cross-platform: Runs on Windows, macOS and Linux.
    • Flexible deployment: Can be included in your app or installed side-by-side user- or machine-wide.
    • Command-line tools: All product scenarios can be exercised at the command-line.
    • Compatible: .NET Core is compatible with .NET Framework, Xamarin and Mono, via the .NET Standard Library.
    • Open source: The .NET Core platform is open source, using MIT and Apache 2 licenses.
    • Documentation is licensed under CC-BY. .NET Core is a .NET Foundation project.
    • Supported by Microsoft: .NET Core is supported by Microsoft, per .NET Core Support

If you want to build a cross-platform application, please use .NET Core. If you want to use all the new features which described above, please use .NET Core.

Best Regards,
    Li Wang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 2:37 AM