TFS installation failed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    i followed the instructions to install the team foundation server, that is in the installation manual (step by step even installing the share point 3.0, and everything updated, sql server too)
    everything was good till in the last step it had to install the framework 3.5 and of course the team foundation server
    it started installing the framework (i had previously the version 3) and then suddenly it stopped, gave an installation failed and nothing else
    decided to reboot and try again, and since i did that, the remote desktop connection doesn't work anymore. i got to make it back to show me the login page via remote desktop but doesn't accept the login of any user, either the administrator, for all of them it says they are not authorized and i have to add them in the group for remote desktop (i checked and all the users are still in that group)... i still can login when i go directly to the servers room, but not via remote desktop
    what could be the reason that a failed installation caused me so many problems?

thank you very much
    MC
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 12:33 PM

Answers

• thanks a lot for your answer
    i installed the framework 3.5 separated and then the TFS and installation was successfull!
    but i still have problems with the remote desktop: i see the window for login user, but for all users it says they must be in the local group of remotedesktop users (and they are).. took a look at the related services but they are running
    thanks again
    MC
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 7:14 AM
  • glad to know that you succeeded in tfs setup.

I believe you are using your server in terminal server mode. Is your Term Server activated? or the initial period got expired?.
    In either case, at least your admin ID should be working remotely.

I would suggest you post this in an appropriate forum or seek the help of your network admin or MS support.

PS: one suggestion, try removing the users from remote desktop users grp and adding  it again. You can even post the windows event log error here
    Friday, July 4, 2008 5:16 AM

All replies

• Something went wrong during framework 3.5 installation. You can have a look at the msi installation log file for more details.

I would also suggest  you to install .NET framework 3.5 before starting TFS installation so that you can look it into the problem if the framework installation failed.

And for the RDC problem, you can check if all related services are up and running(like RPC, Remote Access etc). .NET Framework installation might have interrupted some of the running services I guess.
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 7:37 AM
  • thanks a lot for your answer
    i installed the framework 3.5 separated and then the TFS and installation was successfull!
    but i still have problems with the remote desktop: i see the window for login user, but for all users it says they must be in the local group of remotedesktop users (and they are).. took a look at the related services but they are running
    thanks again
    MC
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 7:14 AM
  • glad to know that you succeeded in tfs setup.

I believe you are using your server in terminal server mode. Is your Term Server activated? or the initial period got expired?.
    In either case, at least your admin ID should be working remotely.

I would suggest you post this in an appropriate forum or seek the help of your network admin or MS support.

PS: one suggestion, try removing the users from remote desktop users grp and adding  it again. You can even post the windows event log error here
    Friday, July 4, 2008 5:16 AM