Does app store have capability to identity users resolution so that right copy should be downloaded?

Question

• Hi

Does app store have capability to identity user's handset resolution so that right copy should be offered and downloaded?

Regards

Vijay

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:21 AM

Answers

• Hi Vijay,

Sorry for the confusion. The Windows Store apps Forums are specifically for Windows Store apps, so if you're writing some other sort of app you'd be better off in a more appropriate forum. That said, I'm not sure what type of app you are writing. I don't believe Windows Phone does 800*400 (Windows Phone 7.1 supports 800x480. Windows Phone 8 adds higher resolutions, but not smaller). That said, the expectation for Windows Phone apps is the same as for Windows Store apps: the app should scale to any resolution rather than having separate apps for different resolutions. See Multi-resolution apps for Windows Phone 8 for more details.

--Rob

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:24 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi Vijay,

Windows Store apps need to be flexible enough to scale to any resolution. The resolution may change after the app has been installed. Please see Guidelines for scaling to screens (Windows Store apps) (Windows)‎

--Rob 

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:08 PM
    Owner
  • HI Rob,

Thanks for guiding me toward guidelines for apps. I think i missed word "MOBILE Platform".

Also as we have fixed size app(as article also mentioned) already running for 800 * 400 and we wanted to have this run on other two supported resolutions. Also i want to mention that we want to create new version for higher resolutions rather than modifying code for existing one.

my question was for same regard, that Can app store have ability to offer right copy after identifying resolution of user's handset?

Thanks for taking time for others.

Vijay

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 4:55 AM
  • Hi Vijay,

Sorry for the confusion. The Windows Store apps Forums are specifically for Windows Store apps, so if you're writing some other sort of app you'd be better off in a more appropriate forum. That said, I'm not sure what type of app you are writing. I don't believe Windows Phone does 800*400 (Windows Phone 7.1 supports 800x480. Windows Phone 8 adds higher resolutions, but not smaller). That said, the expectation for Windows Phone apps is the same as for Windows Store apps: the app should scale to any resolution rather than having separate apps for different resolutions. See Multi-resolution apps for Windows Phone 8 for more details.

--Rob

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:24 PM
    Owner