How to Validate EDI files RRS feed

• Question

• As I'm receiving an 837 test file from the client and I want to do EDI data validation. How can I do this?

Do I have to use the party configuration and EDI receive pipeline on receive location? Do I have to load the test file to the EDI Hipaa schema?

Or is there a software that does edi validation?

I would like to do EDI validation within Biztalk!

Christiane

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 2:42 AM

Answers

• Hi Christiane,

EDI validation is performed by the EDI Pipelines, so you will have to use EDI Receive pipeline and need to enable EDI validation in configuration.

Please follow the MSDN article: EDI Message Validation

Maheshkumar S Tiwari|User Page|Blog|BizTalk Server : How Map Works on Port Level

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 4:07 AM
  • Hi

In another way you can configure EDI Validation while configuring the aggrement for EDI processing .

Refer MSDN article

Another article which gives the detail of how to process EDI and configure Aggrements ,Refer.

Regards

Mohit Gupta

• Marked as answer by Christiane0696 Wednesday, March 26, 2014 5:08 PM
    Wednesday, March 26, 2014 6:17 AM
  • Within the BizTalk world, there are two primary ways to validate EDI, at Design Time and Runtime.

You can validate the structure and basic syntax of a Transaction Set, ST/SE, against the matching Schema in Visual Studio.  This works the same way you would validate any instance message.  Note, you can only validate ST to SE so you'll have to remove ISA/IEA and GS/GE segments first.

You can also validate in BizTalk at runtime, which it does normally when processing any EDI message.  This has the benefit of applying all EDI validations.  You can tune the level in the Agreement.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 11:40 AM
  • Hi Christiane,

I believe when you mean by EDI data validation, you mean to EDI structural validation and Schema Validation.

EDI Disassembler in the EDIReceivePipeline verifies that the envelope of messages received. Structural validations include the check for presence of headers and trailers, segment and loop ordering and count checks.Even if the EDI Type Validation and/or Extended Validation options are disabled these validations are done when you use the EDI pipelines. Again Edi pipeline does the schema validation against the Service schema, message schema, CONTRL, 997, and TA1 schema

Refernces:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb226388.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb246024.aspx

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 3:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Christiane,

EDI validation is performed by the EDI Pipelines, so you will have to use EDI Receive pipeline and need to enable EDI validation in configuration.

Please follow the MSDN article: EDI Message Validation

Maheshkumar S Tiwari|User Page|Blog|BizTalk Server : How Map Works on Port Level

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 4:07 AM
  • Hi

In another way you can configure EDI Validation while configuring the aggrement for EDI processing .

Refer MSDN article

Another article which gives the detail of how to process EDI and configure Aggrements ,Refer.

Regards

Mohit Gupta

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 6:17 AM
  • Within the BizTalk world, there are two primary ways to validate EDI, at Design Time and Runtime.

You can validate the structure and basic syntax of a Transaction Set, ST/SE, against the matching Schema in Visual Studio.  This works the same way you would validate any instance message.  Note, you can only validate ST to SE so you'll have to remove ISA/IEA and GS/GE segments first.

You can also validate in BizTalk at runtime, which it does normally when processing any EDI message.  This has the benefit of applying all EDI validations.  You can tune the level in the Agreement.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 11:40 AM
  • Hi Christiane,

I believe when you mean by EDI data validation, you mean to EDI structural validation and Schema Validation.

EDI Disassembler in the EDIReceivePipeline verifies that the envelope of messages received. Structural validations include the check for presence of headers and trailers, segment and loop ordering and count checks.Even if the EDI Type Validation and/or Extended Validation options are disabled these validations are done when you use the EDI pipelines. Again Edi pipeline does the schema validation against the Service schema, message schema, CONTRL, 997, and TA1 schema

Refernces:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb226388.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb246024.aspx

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 3:23 PM
  • With respect to Hipaa EDI files, there is a way to do that which is sending the edi file to edifecs transaction management using jms services adapter, converting msg to RFHMSG. But I still like to use Biztalk with party config and edi disassembler and load the test file to the hipaa schema.

Christiane

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 5:58 PM