How to choose Affinity group in portal.azure? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

How do I choose an affinity group for a new storage account in the the new "portal.azure.com"? It seems that I only can choose a location at the moment.

In manage.windowsazure.com it was available in the dropdownlist when creating a new storage account.

Best regards

Martin Nordkvist

This is Me!

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 7:35 AM

Answers

• Hi Martin,

In the preview portal, we need use the Azure resource group .

I recommend you could refer to this document about what's the resource group and how to create and use it.

http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/azure-preview-portal-using-resource-groups/

Any question about this issue, please let me know free.

Regards,

Will

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, October 2, 2014 2:20 AM
  • hi Martin,

>>If we can´t choose affinity group any more, how can we make sure that our items are placed physically close together inside a data center?

For this issue, we could create VNet on preview portal replace Affinity Group currently. VNet could guarantee the physically close inside a data center. Please see this page(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/jj156085.aspx ). We could create VN form old portal and add the resource (such as websites, cloud service and so on) into VN in new portal.

Regards,

Will

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 9:50 AM

All replies

• Hi Martin,

In the preview portal, we need use the Azure resource group .

I recommend you could refer to this document about what's the resource group and how to create and use it.

http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/azure-preview-portal-using-resource-groups/

Any question about this issue, please let me know free.

Regards,

Will

Thursday, October 2, 2014 2:20 AM
  • Thank your for your reply.

Since a Resource Group can span regions, that is kind of the opposite of an affinity group, right?

If resources can´t be placed physically close anymore, wont that add to my bill (datatraffic) and make latency worse?

Will affinity groups be a part of Azure in the future or will it be cut out?

Well, to make it short: Can Resource Groups give me all the advantage an affinity group can?

//Martin

This is Me!

Thursday, October 2, 2014 10:58 AM
  • Hi Martin,

Resource groups enable you to manage all your resources in an application together. Resource groups are enabled by the new management functionality, Azure Resource Manager. Azure Resource Manager allows you to group multiple resources as a logical group which serves as the lifecycle boundary for every resource contained within it. Typically a group will contain resources related to a specific application. [from above link]

We could understand "Resource group" is a logical group. It could contain our all resource in one application. And it is a Resource manager functionality. Also, if your resource is in others regions always could be add into one resource group.   

For "affinity group" , we could understand it as a "physically close group". It is in one region and physical closer.

But they are not opposite. Base on my experience, we also use the affinity group as resource group. For instance, you could create a null cloud service on the old portal . And then you could see the cloud service name as a resource name in the new portal, and you could add some resource into it.

>>Will affinity groups be a part of Azure in the future or will it be cut out?

And now the new portal is in preview, some functionality is a work in progress.I am not sure the affinity groups whether the part of new Azue portal.

Regards,

Will

Monday, October 6, 2014 8:57 AM
  • Thank you for your answers, I really appreciate it.

If we can´t choose affinity group any more, how can we make sure that our items are placed physically close together inside a data center?

Is there such a feature in Resource groups? If there is not, is the option for placing items physically close gone?

Regards,

Martin

This is Me!

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 9:44 AM
  • hi Martin,

>>If we can´t choose affinity group any more, how can we make sure that our items are placed physically close together inside a data center?

For this issue, we could create VNet on preview portal replace Affinity Group currently. VNet could guarantee the physically close inside a data center. Please see this page(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/jj156085.aspx ). We could create VN form old portal and add the resource (such as websites, cloud service and so on) into VN in new portal.

Regards,

Will

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 9:50 AM