Azure Portal - Tier Change RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

From my Azure Storage Account, my default access tier for my blob storage (Storage v2, GP v2) is currently set for Access tier = Hot.

I currently have many blobs stored there that have been changed to the "Archive" tier.

My question is:  If I change my default Access Tier in the Azure Storage Account Portal, and set it from Hot to Cool (Access Tier = Cool), will that change the tiering of my currently stored blobs?  Or will this only change the default tier for newly added blobs?  I just want to make sure that all of our Archive tiered files, do not get rehydrated to Cool tier.

Thanks!

Monday, February 18, 2019 4:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

When you change the Blob from Hot to Cold, your current blob as well as the new ones will be changed to Hot. Converting from hot to cold is free, likely depending on the fact that fetching data from blobs is free in hot storage.

Regards From: Exchange Online | World of Cloud Computing

Monday, February 18, 2019 7:18 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your reply, but did you mean:

"When you change the Blob from Hot to Cold, your current blob as well as the new ones will be changed to Cold."

This applies to the entire blob container correct?  Therefore if I have existing objects that are currently in Archive tier, and changing the blob container level from Hot to Cold, would result in any existing and future added objects to that container will be set as Cold tier level? (which would re-hydrate my current blob objects that are set as Archive tier to Cold tier)

Thanks,

Monday, February 18, 2019 8:30 AM
  • Did you mean "Cool" - rather than "Cold"? 

If so, then changing the tier of an account (from Hot to Cool or from Cool to Hot) will affect any blob that does not have its tier attribute set explicitly.

Since archive is always set on the object level, this will not affect their setting

Details at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/blobs/storage-blob-storage-tiers

hth
    Marcin

Monday, February 18, 2019 4:26 PM
  • @UNI_TECH, Just checking in to see if the above answers helped. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same, which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. And, if you have any further query do let us know.
    Wednesday, February 27, 2019 9:53 AM