none
Missing Single Step in IDE RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently updated my VS2010 Professional IDE to SP1. 

Now the F8 key no longer provides single step functionality (nor does F11).  Likewise the F5 key no longer runs the debugger.  I can access these actions via mouse using the run and single step icons on the toolbar.

These very important functions have not been restored using any of the Tools|Options settings that I have been able to find.

I have attempted to "repair" the SP1 installation without success...with a number of errors being reported starting with an RiaServices.msi error.

Any ideas of what is wrong and how to fix the problem?

E. L. Lane

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 8:05 PM

All replies

• Hello,

My suggestion is to select (from the IDE menu) Tools -> Options -> Keyboard

What does the top ComboBox say? If not set to Visual Basic 6 then change it to Visual Basic 6.

KSG

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 8:14 PM
  • Hi Kevin

Tools|Options|Keyboard has been tried numerous times and has no affect on the problem.  I normally use the VB6 settings (F8) for single step, but the F11 is inoperative as well as well as the F5 key.

E. L. Lane

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 9:34 PM
  • On that options page, look what key is assigned to Debugging.Singlestep

Armin

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 9:44 PM
  • Hi Kevin

Tools|Options|Keyboard has been tried numerous times and has no affect on the problem.  I normally use the VB6 settings (F8) for single step, but the F11 is inoperative as well as well as the F5 key.

E. L. Lane

Same here, I use VB6 settings too which is why I made this suggestion. Perhaps the following will help.

1. Open a VS command line prompt (from the start menu, all programs, Microsoft Visual Studio 2010, Tools then command prompt.
    2. Now type in devenv /resetuserdata and press enter.
    3. This resets your settings.
    4. Now you will need to redo your settings like changing the keyboard to VB6.

I had to do this myself last week for a different issue and did have to change back to VS6 keyboard settings.

KSG

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 9:51 PM
  • Thanks for the response Armin.

I cannot find a setting for Tools|Options|Keyboard  Debugging.Singlestep.  This might be my problem, but where do I find this setting?

E. L. Lane

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 10:04 PM
  • Hi Kevin

No luck...F5 Key does not work neither does F8 or F11 after resetuserdata per the given steps above.

E. L. Lane

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 10:14 PM
  • I cannot find a setting for Tools|Options|Keyboard  Debugging.Singlestep.  This might be my problem, but where do I find this setting?

Bad for demonstration having a German version only ;-) but the words "Debuggen.Einzelschritt" mean "Debugging.Singlestep" (I hope thats the right translation)

Armin

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:21 PM
  • No luck...F5 Key does not work neither does F8 or F11 after resetuserdata per the given steps above.

You must load a project to make it work! 

Armin

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:23 PM
  • Does it happen in every project?

Another possibility: If you open the properties for the solution, there you can select "multiple startup projects". If you do so but you select "none" in the "action" column, I get the behavior you describe.

Or maybe you have compile errors?

EDIT: Forget what I wrote as it works via the toolbar.

Armin

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:26 PM
  • Thanks Armin

This was not the solution either.  I think the problem is larger than just the failure to single step through the code since the F5 key will not run the solution either.

E. L. Lane

Thursday, March 15, 2012 3:16 AM
  • Is the project is loaded? Can you please post screenshot of debugging screen from tool >> options?
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 4:09 AM
  • Hello Lane,

Direct in 2002 I decided not to go use anymore the keyboard layout from VB6 in newer visual studio (this gave me some problems when using VS98 but that I could overcome). 

I advice you to do the same and not use those VB6 ones anymore. 

Be aware, it is my personal opinion, but it makes it also easier when you go using other program languages in Visual Studio. 

Standard is the F5 the run program, the F10 the quick step and the F11 Executes next statement and follows execution into method calls F10 Executes next statement

Look here at the link at all keyboard layouts available.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=13189

Success
    Cor

Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:12 AM