Unlimited caching, Windows 8.1 @ 17 Sep 2013 RRS feed

Answers

• Hello,

I got confirmation the MediaElement (ME) does limit the cache size. The size limit is 95% of free space or 4 GB whatever is smaller. If you stop the stream the cache should be cleaned out in about 10 minutes if the file is larger than 5 MB. If you find that the ME is going past this limit please let me know.

We do have a proposed design change that will allow the ME cache size to be controlled to some extent. Unfortunately this design change did not make it into 8.1 RTM. I have requested that the change be checked into the main branch as soon as possible. If this happens as I expect we will see the change in the next release of the operating system.

I hope this helps,

James

Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 12:05 AM

All replies

•   I can read the problem from before but what does "Apps kill free memory." mean?

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, October 7, 2013 12:58 PM
  •   I can read the problem from before but what does "Apps kill free memory." mean?

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Hi, I tested my app for example, MediaElement's cache "killed" (or "ate" :-)) 2 Gb on the hdd (in TWO days), other apps have the same problem. I do not understand why Microsoft ignores it.

For example, you can run TuneIn radio and watch how package's folder is growing up.

Yesterday one user emailed me question how to delete cache without deleting app, I cannot instruct all users of my app...

• Edited by Andev Monday, October 7, 2013 1:21 PM
    Monday, October 7, 2013 1:10 PM
  • OK, you are talking about the same problem then.  I'll ask James to comment on this.

Monday, October 7, 2013 2:33 PM
  • Hello,

I found the original bug and it was resolved. What you are describing is not the expected behavior. An app container should only be able to use 50 MB of storage before cleanup occurs. Cache cleanup should occur about every five minutes. I have contacted the original bug owners and I am checking with them to see if we are missing something.

I also need to confirm with you that you are testing on MSDN 8.1 RTM.

PS Depending on their response I may need you to open a support incident so that we can properly track the issue. If this becomes a necessity I will contact you here and walk you through the steps.

Thanks much for reporting this,

James

Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Monday, October 7, 2013 9:56 PM
  • Hello,

I got confirmation the MediaElement (ME) does limit the cache size. The size limit is 95% of free space or 4 GB whatever is smaller. If you stop the stream the cache should be cleaned out in about 10 minutes if the file is larger than 5 MB. If you find that the ME is going past this limit please let me know.

We do have a proposed design change that will allow the ME cache size to be controlled to some extent. Unfortunately this design change did not make it into 8.1 RTM. I have requested that the change be checked into the main branch as soon as possible. If this happens as I expect we will see the change in the next release of the operating system.

I hope this helps,

James

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 12:05 AM
  • Hi James,

thanks for info,

I am testing Windows 8.1 RTM (Enterprise, 17 Sep 2013) using VM in the Parallels Desktop (main Windows 8 is on the Bootcamp).

I checked size of the app's folder, it is now 542 Mb since 6 October, size of disk C: is 62 Gb, free space 52 Gb. If user has a tablet PC with 64 Gb SSD, more than 500 Mb for cache is too big.

I hope this problem will be solved asap:)
    • Edited by Andev Friday, October 11, 2013 4:18 PM
    Friday, October 11, 2013 4:03 PM
  • Hi,

I uprgaded Windows to 8.1 throw the Windows Store, checked cache of my app, and old problem still exists (size of INetCache is more than 85 Mb already in few hours, next day folder wasn't cleared by system), more details can found there http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/ru-RU/c4f21163-b72d-40fe-8e74-ae78383ef85c/unlimited-caching-windows-81-17-sep-2013?forum=w81prevwCsharp

Dear Microsoft, could you please provide details (exact date and KB) when this critical problem will be solved? I was hoping not to see this problem in the Windows 8.1 final release.

Friday, October 18, 2013 4:15 PM
  • +1

Friday, October 18, 2013 6:25 PM