none
What bits do I use to make it happen?

Question

• Hello, all.  I'll start by stating up front, that I am not a programmer.  I work in a law enforcement job, as a shift supervisor.  Part of my duties is to assign my Officers to duty stations based on their abilities and experience.  On any given day, I have to  assign approximately seventy-five officers on a work roster.  Each day's roster has to be different, so that people don't complain about being stuck in one station all the time.  As you can imagine, making up rosters takes considerable time, especially when you add in the factors of time off, Officers out sick or on leave, etcetera.  Of course, I've looked for rostering software all over the internet, but none of it quite works for my needs.

So, I did what any level-headed, sane person would do...I thought to myself, "Heck, I'll learn to program and WRITE ONE MYSELF (cue deafening gales of laughter)!"  How hard could it possibly be, I thought?

Obviously, I'm in WAAAAAY over my head.  Still, the struggle is the glory, so I'm soldiering on.  I dug around online, did a bunch of tutorials, and then stumbled blindly onto Visual Studio 2015.  I've learned enough, so far, to create a SQL database and to create a front-end form/application with which to view the individual records and add/edit records in it.  Looking at the rest of what I'm trying to do, it looks like I'm past the easy part (D'OH!).

From here, I need to figure out how to make an application look at the database and randomly pick names for each duty station.  BUT, I have to have it compare the duty station for which the name was chosen to a set of capabilities outlined for each officer (I included fields in the DB for different capabilities).  If the officer isn't qualified for it, the app needs to pick someone else.  Also, the application needs to recognise when a name has already been used, and not generate duplicate selections. 

Finally, I want to spit out my work roster in some sort of usable, printable format (custom is fine, but on a Excel spreadsheet might be better, since we currently do our rosters that way, anyway). 

Simple, right?  Except, I have no idea what actual operations to use to make any of that happen?  I'm not asking for anyone to write the app for me...I'm just hoping that someone out there can help me make a plan ("Oh, you want to use a 'RAND' function and 'SORT', then 'PRINT' and specify the output path", that kind of thing--I'm still at the general planning phase of this part of the app) on what I need to do.  I'm sure I'll be on here a LOT, once I have my plan, trying to get help in the actual DOING of all this stuff, anyway, heh.

Thanks in advance for anything anyone can do to help! 

Monday, August 22, 2016 2:57 AM

Answers

• Hi Nicholas Flood,

This forum is discuss Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor.

According to your description, you want to develop a application to help you make duty rosters based on your requirement. I just can provide an overview process to help you implement your requirement.

First you need to know some database knowledge, which can help you manage all the officers information. In this step, you need to store the officer name, abilities, experience, duty stations and work roster records based on the date. For more issue about how to design your SQL Database, I suggest you post your detailed problem to SQL Server forum when designing your database.

Then you need to choose which type of project you want to create. For your situation, you just want use this application by yourself, I think desktop is a good choice, such as WinForm, WPF. And if you want to use it anywhere through internet, you can choose web application.

Next you need to choose which language you want to use to develop this application. This is based on yourself, I think which language you are familiar with is the best choice.

Now you need to design your application. Please divide your application into several module. For example, the first is used to manager the officer information, the second is assign duty station and the third is manage officer attendance.

Then you can add/remove/modify the officer information in the first module when there has new officer join, old officer leave and some officer information changed. In the third module, you can record every officer's attendance, such as ask for leave. Then you can in the second module to assign the duty station based the module one and module three.

For more development issue when developing the application, please ask your detailed questions to corresponding forum. For example, WinForm forum, WPF forum, ASP.NET forum, C# forum, VB forum and so on.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, August 22, 2016 7:27 AM
  • Hi Nicholas Flood,

If you choose Win32 project to implement your application, you should choose C++ as your developing language. So if you have any detailed development question about C++ code, you could ask your questions to C++ forum to get better help.

Since your problem more related to how to developing your application, I just could help you provide some applicable forum to help you. If you have found the applicable forum to help you develop your application, please mark the helpful reply to close this thread. Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 3:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Nicholas Flood,

This forum is discuss Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor.

According to your description, you want to develop a application to help you make duty rosters based on your requirement. I just can provide an overview process to help you implement your requirement.

First you need to know some database knowledge, which can help you manage all the officers information. In this step, you need to store the officer name, abilities, experience, duty stations and work roster records based on the date. For more issue about how to design your SQL Database, I suggest you post your detailed problem to SQL Server forum when designing your database.

Then you need to choose which type of project you want to create. For your situation, you just want use this application by yourself, I think desktop is a good choice, such as WinForm, WPF. And if you want to use it anywhere through internet, you can choose web application.

Next you need to choose which language you want to use to develop this application. This is based on yourself, I think which language you are familiar with is the best choice.

Now you need to design your application. Please divide your application into several module. For example, the first is used to manager the officer information, the second is assign duty station and the third is manage officer attendance.

Then you can add/remove/modify the officer information in the first module when there has new officer join, old officer leave and some officer information changed. In the third module, you can record every officer's attendance, such as ask for leave. Then you can in the second module to assign the duty station based the module one and module three.

For more development issue when developing the application, please ask your detailed questions to corresponding forum. For example, WinForm forum, WPF forum, ASP.NET forum, C# forum, VB forum and so on.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, August 22, 2016 7:27 AM
  • Okay, Weiwei, thanks!  It's a start, so off I go!  I've already made the DB, but I'll check over in the SQL forum if I'm having any problems with it.  I'm not really sure how to get modules to talk to one another...is that something I should ask here, in the VS forum, or should I ask in the individual forums?  I'm thinking I'm going to make the logic module (what I'm calling the app that actually picks names from the DB and tries to fit them into spots on the rosters) a Win32 project...would that be right?  I don't really know ANY of the languages, so at least I'm flexible, there, heh...but it also means that I have only the most tenuous grasp of how to accomplish anything.  I recognise that I'm facing quite a steep learning curve, but I appreciate your help. 

I'll try to get over to the proper forum, if I can figure out which one that is!  I appreciate the guidance.

Monday, August 22, 2016 12:10 PM
  • Hi Nicholas Flood,

If you choose Win32 project to implement your application, you should choose C++ as your developing language. So if you have any detailed development question about C++ code, you could ask your questions to C++ forum to get better help.

Since your problem more related to how to developing your application, I just could help you provide some applicable forum to help you. If you have found the applicable forum to help you develop your application, please mark the helpful reply to close this thread. Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 3:05 AM