none
Expression Web 4 -- Page Editor Options RRS feed

• Question

• I converted from EW3 to EW4 this morning.  Per Paul's post, I was able to copy one file and move all of my Publishing Settings from EW3 to EW4.  Now, I note that all of my Page Editor Options have reverted to their defaults.  I have over 100 web sites, and many custom settings, so correcting each web site manually would take some time and be prone to errors.  Does anyone know how to import the Page Editor Options from EW3?  Thank you.
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 7:49 PM

All replies

• I need a little clarification here.  The Page Editor Options aren't set on a per-site basis; they're global to the application.  There are site-specific settings but those are available from the Site Settings dialog, not the Page Editor Options dialog.  Can you be more specific about which settings you're interested in?

The Page Editor Options are set in the registry while the Site Settings are mostly stored in the site metadata, the hidden files that are part of the site.  In the latter case, Expression Web 4 should pick up all of those settings, as it also uses the same metadata, the format of which remains unchanged from Expression Web 3 to Expression Web 4.

Paul Bartholomew, Microsoft Expression Web
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 8:25 PM
  • Are you saying that all of the Page Editor Options are stored in the REGISTRY?  If that's the case, there would be absolutely no way to get the hundreds of page editor option settings the same on 2 computers working on the same websites.

I have been storing the sites on my local network and working on them from 2 different workstations for years and it has always been an infuriating problem keeping the page editor options the same if I have to re-install Expression for any reason.  It would certainly be nice to be able to backup and restore those settings.

Is there on way to accomplish that?

Friday, September 7, 2012 1:53 PM
  • First of all, this thread is two years old! Paul is no longer with the Expression Web project, and hasn't been seen here for years. You should never reopen dead threads, on any forum.

Second, that's a crock. There aren't "hundreds of page editor option settings" to synchronize. I doubt  if I have changed a dozen settings in PEO from the defaults, much less scores or hundreds. I usually just set most of the options in Tina Clarke's "Setting up Expression Web" ebooks, and change the code view font to Monaco, and I'm done.

Now, if you've hundreds of sites (Really? Hundreds?) then you have a problem with syncing Site Settings, but that has nothing to do with the PEO. In fact, the ability to back up and restore Site Settings, a la Dreamweaver, has been a perennial feature request at UserVoice, but that has nothing to do with PEO.

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, September 7, 2012 6:43 PM
  • If he means site settings as in publishing connections somewhere on this forum it tells you where in the registry they are stored. Instructions for moving the keys from the EW 3 section to the EW 4 section are available in a post from Ian Haynes somewhere.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Friday, September 7, 2012 7:56 PM