Error attempting to integrate TFS and SP1 installations

Question

• The TFS installation guide has a topic titled, "How to: Integrate the Installation of Team Foundation Server and Service Pack 1."  I need to do this b/c I want to install against an instance of SQL Server 2008.  When I attempt to run the msiexec command listed in this topic, I get the error:
    "The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Wndows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program.  Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch."

This thread mentions "localized language" as the problem.  Well, I do use the dvorak keyboard layout under regional settings; is that the same as "localized language?"  Anyway, I can't remove it (just won't work), so I tried logging in as another user with regular US keyboard, and it didn't help.

This thread advises uninstalling Visual Studio 2005.  VS2005 remote debugging and VSTA were installed, so I uninstalled them; that didn't help either.
    Tuesday, September 01, 2009 6:48 PM

All replies

• Hi Brad,

To troubleshoot TFS installation error, please check the setup log files by following the link: http://blogs.msdn.com/jmanning/archive/2007/07/21/i-m-having-problems-with-tfs-install-upgrade-repair-uninstall-where-are-the-log-files.aspx

Please check dd_install_vstf*.txt, vsmsi*.txt and dd_depcheck*.txt files. You can post the error log here, or you can choose to send those logs to my email: hongyes@microsoft.com.

Hongye Sun [MSFT]

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Wednesday, September 02, 2009 8:50 AM
  • Hi Brad,

To troubleshoot TFS installation error, please check the setup log files by following the link: http://blogs.msdn.com/jmanning/archive/2007/07/21/i-m-having-problems-with-tfs-install-upgrade-repair-uninstall-where-are-the-log-files.aspx

I cleaned out my temp dir and ran the msiexec command (getting the same error).  I saw a directory named "1" created, but nothing else.
    Thursday, September 03, 2009 5:30 PM
  • When did you receive this error? Before the MSI wizard appears or after?

Please also check the MSI log of the installation. Use command: msiexec/L [i][w][e][a][r][u][c][m][p][v][+][!]LogFile.txt to enable logging

For detail, please check: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc759262(WS.10).aspx#BKMK_SetLogging

Thanks,

Hongye Sun [MSFT]

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Friday, September 04, 2009 9:53 AM
  • When did you receive this error? Before the MSI wizard appears or after?

Please also check the MSI log of the installation. Use command: msiexec /L   [i ][w ][e ][a ][r ][u ][c ][m ][p ][v ][+ ][! ]LogFile .txt to enable logging

I get the before the wizard starts.  Following is log output:

MSI (c) (B0:9C) [08:42:12:865]: Final Patch Application Order:
    MSI (c) (B0:9C) [08:42:12:865]: Other Patches:
    MSI (c) (B0:9C) [08:42:12:865]: Unknown\Absent: {FC59BE2D-4E20-421E-BD8F-20C5A6ABB02A} - D:\TFSCombined\TFS90sp1-KB949786.msp
    The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer an
    d that you have the correct upgrade patch.
    D:\TFS\AT\vs_setup.msi
    MSI (c) (B0:9C) [08:42:12:865]: Product: Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Team Foundation Server - ENU - Update '{FC59BE2D-4E20-421E-BD8F-20C5A6ABB02A}' could not be installed. Error code 1642. Additional information is available in the log file c:\monkey.txt.

MSI (c) (B0:9C) [08:42:12:865]: Windows Installer installed an update. Product Name: Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Team Foundation Server - ENU. Product Version: 9.0.30729. Product Language: 1033. Update Name: {FC59BE2D-4E20-421E-BD8F-20C5A6ABB02A}. Installation success or error status: 1642.

MSI (c) (B0:9C) [08:42:12:865]: Product: Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Team Foundation Server - ENU -- Installation failed.

MSI (c) (B0:9C) [08:42:12:865]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Team Foundation Server - ENU. Product Version: 9.0.30729. Product Language: 1033. Installation success or error status: 1642.

So my error is the same error that I get if I attempt to launch D:\TFSCombined\TFS90sp1-KB949786.msp (the package that was extracted from the SP1 exe) directly.  It's as if that package is trying to update TFS directly and it's not yet installed.  But that's not what this combination is supposed to do.  I'm confused.  Here is the command I'm using:
    msiexec /log c:\monkey.txt /a D:\TFS\AT\vs_setup.msi /p D:\TFSCombined\TFS90sp1-KB949786.msp TARGETDIR=d:\tfscombined_part2
    Friday, September 04, 2009 3:07 PM
  • Hi Brad,

Sorry for my delayed reply.

I occasionally found a similar issue in internal discussion list. I am trying to consult this issue with people who may know the cause, but haven't got reply yet.

Before I get any answer internally, can you check the following:

1. Have you installed any TFS previous version including Beta before?
    2. Can you have a check of the installation pack on another clean machine?
    3. If the install pack doesn't work in other machine neither, please let me know where did you get the SP1 pack and how did you do to extract it.

Thanks,

Hongye Sun [MSFT]

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 2:19 PM
  • 1. Have you installed any TFS previous version including Beta before?
    2. Can you have a check of the installation pack on another clean machine?
    3. If the install pack doesn't work in other machine neither, please let me know where did you get the SP1 pack and how did you do to extract it.
    1. No
    2. Tried on a clean Server 2003 virtual machine.  Same error.
    3. I downloaded SP1 from here .  I extracted it following the instructions in the TFSInstall chm guide under topic "How to: Integrate Installation of Team Foundation Server and Service Pack 1", step 3: C:\wherever \SP1Download.exe /extract:C:\wherever_else
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:23 PM
  • Any updates on this issue? I have been working on this very same issue and my outcome is identical.
    Mike
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:06 PM
  • Hi Mike,
    Did you ever get an answer on this from Brad? I'm getting the same issue.

Thanks
    jP
    • Proposed as answer by Padda Monday, October 26, 2009 3:35 PM
    Monday, October 26, 2009 2:32 PM
  • Hi,

I got around the error by overwriting the content of the original C:\TFS\AT folder with the newly created C:\TFS\ATIntegrated folder, and then running setup.exe from within C:\TFS\AT\.

Hope that this helps.
    Padda
    Monday, October 26, 2009 3:37 PM