Online Application Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I have a win form application which deploys a COM DLL on the client machine, registers it and calls a function from it. The COM DLL was in my bin folder of the application and i had added a reference to it to generate the interop dll. Then i had copied the COM DLL to the corresponding version folder in the virtual directory where i had publised the application. Then I added these files to the manifest using the mage tool and signed it. Signed and updated the deployment manifest also. All this works fine when my installation type is "The application is available offline also".

Now I tried it for application available online only, and i get the following error. Couldnt find much info on this exception in MSDN "Exception committing an application into store." :

Windows version: 5.1
    system.deployment.dll (in C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.41115) version: 2.0.41115.19 (lab23df.041115-1900)
    mscorwks.dll version: 2.0.41115.19 (lab23df.041115-1900)
    dfdll.dll version: 8.0.41115.19 (lab23df.041115-1900)

Subscription Url: https://kunal/TestCom/TestCom.application
    Subscription Identity: TestCom.application, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=cc5030b4672eafb2, processorArchitecture=msil

(6/30/2005 1:19:00 PM) Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.

(6/30/2005 1:19:02 PM) Downloading of subscription dependencies is complete.

(6/30/2005 1:19:11 PM) Following dispositions are returned by last Transaction:1,2,1,0,1,1,1,1,2,0,0,

(6/30/2005 1:19:11 PM) Subscribe application:
    A system restore point for this application could not be set. Reason of failure is: The sequence number is invalid..

(6/30/2005 1:19:11 PM) Activate manifest:
    Activation of https://kunal/TestCom/TestCom.application resulted in exception.
       Type: System.Deployment.ComponentStoreException
       Exception committing an application into store.
       Source: System.Deployment
       Stack trace:    at System.Deployment.ComponentStore.CommitApplication(SubscriptionState subState, CommitApplicationParams commitParams)
       at System.Deployment.SubscriptionStore.CommitApplication(SubscriptionState subState, CommitApplicationParams commitParams)
       at System.Deployment.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
       at System.Deployment.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut)
       at System.Deployment.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
       --- Inner Exception ---
       Type: System.IO.FileNotFoundException
       Exception from HRESULT 0x80070002 The system cannot find the file specified.
       Stack trace:    at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IStore.LockApplicationPath(UInt32 Flags, IDefinitionAppId ApId, IntPtr& Cookie)
       at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.Store.LockApplicationPath(IDefinitionAppId app)
       at System.Deployment.ComponentStore.GetApplicationPath(DefinitionAppId appId)
       at System.Deployment.ComponentStore.GetSubscriptionStateInternal(DefinitionIdentity subId)
       at System.Deployment.SubscriptionStore.GetSubscriptionStateInternal(SubscriptionState subState)
       at System.Deployment.ComponentStore.CollectOnlineApps()
       at System.Deployment.ComponentStore.ScavengeOnlineApps(SubscriptionState subState, CommitApplicationParams commitParams)
       at System.Deployment.ComponentStore.CommitApplication(SubscriptionState subState, CommitApplicationParams commitParams)

Thanks,
    Kunal

Thursday, June 30, 2005 6:55 AM

Answers

• Well I tried the age old method of uninstalling and reinstalling. I uninstalled VS2005 and then reinstalled it. After this all my applications are working perfectly. But I wud still like to know what really happened. These two errors are not documented also, so maybe these were just a rare exception with some settings gone hay wire in my machine.

Regards,
    Kunal
    Friday, July 1, 2005 10:09 AM

All replies

• Well to add to it, I created a new sample win form application, signed it and published it in online only mode and i am still getting the same error. Its just a simple winform having no controls in it.

Thanks,
    Kunal
    Thursday, June 30, 2005 9:28 AM
  • Did you by anychace keep the same application identity (<assemblyIdentity> tag int he .application) for all these applications?

Kunal did you uninstall the shell visible application before you tried to install the Online only App. Could you try that if you havent already.

Also as a last resort if the uninstall does not help - could you whack the entire clickocne store %userprofile%\Local Settings\Apps an try installign the online App.

It looks like you ended up corrupting your store and reseteign it should solve your issue, though would love to investigate further how you ended up in that state.
    Thursday, June 30, 2005 6:34 PM
  • Kunal, looks like you're running an older pre-Beta2 build of Whidbey. I would recommend upgrading to Whidbey Beta2 build first. There have been many improvements in ClickOnce robustness and error handling in Beta2.

Regards,
    Sameer
    Thursday, June 30, 2005 8:29 PM
  • Hi Saurabh,
    The application identity was different for all the applications. Yes I had also uninstalled the shell visible application. The only thing I had not done was clearing the application cache. I deleted all the files there. Republished my application, which is just a simple win form with no controls in it. Now I am getting the error given below. I dont know why its giving a COM exception. I have added no COM components to my project. Is this how whidbey does it internally?

Also after doing this i created another new win form application and with that I am getting the same error as in the above post.

Hi Sameer,
    I have MS VS 2005 Beta 2 installed, atleast that is what it says in the Start -> Programs menu. Is there any other way i can confirm? The MS VS 2005 version no is 8.0.41115.19. The .NET framework is 2.0.41115

Windows version: 5.1
    system.deployment.dll (in C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.41115) version: 2.0.41115.19 (lab23df.041115-1900)
    mscorwks.dll version: 2.0.41115.19 (lab23df.041115-1900)
    dfdll.dll version: 8.0.41115.19 (lab23df.041115-1900)

Subscription Url: http://kunal/TestOnlineDeployment/TestOnlineDeployment.application
    Subscription Identity: TestOnlineDeployment.application, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=cc5030b4672eafb2, processorArchitecture=msil

(7/1/2005 9:19:38 AM) Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.

(7/1/2005 9:19:38 AM) Activate manifest:
    Activation of http://kunal/TestOnlineDeployment/TestOnlineDeployment.application resulted in exception.
       Type: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
       Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.
       Stack trace:    at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IStore.GetAssemblyInformation(UInt32 Flags, IDefinitionIdentity DefinitionIdentity, Guid& riid)
       at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.Store.GetAssemblyManifest(UInt32 Flags, IDefinitionIdentity DefinitionIdentity)
       at System.Deployment.ComponentStore.GetSubscriptionStateInternal(DefinitionIdentity subId)
       at System.Deployment.SubscriptionStore.GetSubscriptionStateInternal(SubscriptionState subState)
       at System.Deployment.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
       at System.Deployment.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut)
       at System.Deployment.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

Thanks,
    Kunal

Friday, July 1, 2005 4:03 AM
  • Well I tried the age old method of uninstalling and reinstalling. I uninstalled VS2005 and then reinstalled it. After this all my applications are working perfectly. But I wud still like to know what really happened. These two errors are not documented also, so maybe these were just a rare exception with some settings gone hay wire in my machine.

Regards,
    Kunal
    Friday, July 1, 2005 10:09 AM