none
User Controls with parametrized constructor RRS feed

• General discussion

• Is it possible to allow designer support for a user control that does not have a default constructor (i.e. the only constructors available take parameters)?

I modified one of my existing user controls to eliminate the default constructor and now I can no longer drag it onto forms in the designer. In addition forms that already contained the control do not work in the designer even if I modify the instatiation in InitializeComponent to pass in the required params.

Basically I need to ensure that these controls are not created without some required information. An option would be to restore the default constructor and throw an exception if the required information has not been assigned  during the Load event of the control, but that doesn't seem very clean. Any help appreciated.
    Tuesday, June 7, 2005 1:00 PM

All replies

• Never mind,I figured it out. As long as I have a default constructor in the base class, it works. 

As a follow up question, does anyone know if there is a way to tell in code whether a control is being rendered in the visual studio designer versus an application?
    Wednesday, June 8, 2005 7:13 AM
  • [quote]does anyone know if there is a way to tell in code whether a control is being rendered in the visual studio designer versus an application?[/quote]
    yep, component.DesignMode property
    if true, youre in vs designer

Thursday, June 9, 2005 1:11 AM