Strange and Annoying Silverlight Behavior - Please Help! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, everyone.  I'm new to Silverlight development.  It's an amazing technology but I've run into a small recurring problem.  I am developing a small Silverlight 3 Navigation Application in VS 2010 Beta 2 (C#) on my Windows 7 computer.  Everything was going very smoothly and I had run, coded, run, coded about 2 dozen times without a hitch.  After doing nothing special (I think I had just added a TextBlock to a Grid), I pressed F5 to run the program again.   Visual Studio crashed, shut itself down and then automatically tried to reload my Solution but without success.  No problem I thought, I'll just restart VS2010.  I re-loaded my Solution, pressed F5.

This time, however, instead of starting up the browser (Firefox was the default at the time), I got a listing of the directory for my Silverlight application.  The page is titled:  "Directory Listing -- /SilverlightNavigationApplication1.Web/".  The listing of all the files (in hyperlink format) then was shown below and these included:

<dir> ClientBin

Silverlight.js

SilverlightNavigationApplication1TestPage.aspx

SilverlightNavigationApplication1TestPage.html

web.config

At the bottom of the screen, the Version Information displayed is "ASP.NET Development Server 10.0.0.0" 

If I click on the HTML page hyperlink, the application runs in the browser as expected.  However, it's really annoying to see this directory listing pop up every time that I hit F5 now.  I've tried setting IE8 and Chrome as default browsers but all display the same strange Directory Listing first.

I am presuming that something got messed up when Visual Studio crashed but I have no idea how to fix this.  I've tried to see if anyone else has come across this on the web but to no avail.  If you can help out by pointing me in the right direction, I'd be sincerely grateful!

Many thanks in advance!!

Luck

Saturday, April 10, 2010 6:30 PM

Answers

• In any case, if a Start Page is not specified this is the behavior that may result. I'd also recommend waiting until RTM but if you cannot, right - click on the appropriate page in the Web application and choose "Set as start page".

Sunday, April 11, 2010 7:59 PM

All replies

• I would upgrade to use the vs 2010 rc it is not buggy like vs 2010 beta 2.  FYI the vs 2010 launch is monday

Saturday, April 10, 2010 9:04 PM
  • In any case, if a Start Page is not specified this is the behavior that may result. I'd also recommend waiting until RTM but if you cannot, right - click on the appropriate page in the Web application and choose "Set as start page".

Sunday, April 11, 2010 7:59 PM
  • Thank you very much!  That was definitely the problem (even upgrading to RC version).

Cheers

Monday, April 12, 2010 12:56 AM