none
'Unsubscribe' button in email that creates an Outlook / Exchange auto-rule for the recipient to hide your future emails. RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way using custom forms or macros, to add an 'Unsubscribe' button to my inter-departmental email newsletter that will auto create a filter/rule on the recipients computer when they open up my email and click the 'Unsubscribe' button? In my company we have a few thousand employees, everyone uses Outlook and we have company Exchange email accounts.

In other words, it is easy enough to create a rule for ourselves so that if we don't want to see the frequent emails from a co-worker about their never ending project that has nothing to do with us, then we can in Outlook, and it is automatically put in your deleted folder in Outlook, the rule saved to our company exchange server and we never see those annoying emails again.

Couldn't that functionality be used to share the ability to easily filter the emails you send to others -a sort of 'unsubscribe' for your interoffice emails? They won't really be unsubscribed, more like 'Hide my newsletter emails from now on' but if they never have to see them again it's just as good -and this way no one has to manage a distribution list! Most of the employees in my company don't know how to create filtering rules, and if they can just click an 'Unsubscribe' button, then they won't have to.

Possible? Not possible? A dumb idea?

Friday, January 3, 2014 6:58 PM

Answers

• Hi jtchurch,

The Outlook Object Model provides the required classes, methods and properties for creating rules programmatically. So, you can develop an add-in for Outlook with a button which creates a rule based on a particular email's data. Note, to provide the described functionality for users, you need to deploy the add-in on all machines.

>> auto-rule for the recipient to hide your future emails.

But the Outlook Object Model doesn't provide any properties or methods for hiding e-mails. Instead, you can create a rule for moving items in the specified folder and mark them as read. If you don't want to keep them in the store you are free to deleted all unwanted e-mails when they arrive. So, it is up to you (your the business logic) what to do later with e-mails.

Finally, you can find a sample code in the How to: Create a Rule to File Mail Items from a Manager and Flag Them for Follow-Up article at .

Friday, January 3, 2014 8:50 PM