Universal App Styles?

Question

• Hi,

I have noticed that under Universal apps there is only there is now the Blank and Hub app for the GUI. However, for Windows Apps there is: Blank, Hub, Grid and Split. Phone has Pibot and Webview.

So my question is has the style guidelines changed is some way for Universal apps? Are these extra ones not valid?

What would be great if I can get a description of all the different types of layouts that are valid for Universal apps. Is there are link that defines them all.

Thanks,

Ward.

• Edited by WardH Sunday, April 26, 2015 5:53 AM
    Sunday, April 26, 2015 5:52 AM

Answers

• The Universal app templates are the ones that make the most sense for both Windows and Windows Phone. For example, the Pivot control is not available for Windows 8.1 and so can't appear in a Windows 8.1 template. Similarly, the Split app template uses more screen space than easily fits on a phone.

There isn't an exhaustive list of valid layouts: you can use whatever works best for your app. You do not need to limit yourself to the provided templates. They are just common starting points.

For more information on modern app design see http://design.windows.com

• Marked as answer by WardH Sunday, April 26, 2015 7:23 AM
    Sunday, April 26, 2015 6:11 AM
    Owner
  • You can find the app certification requirements in the Windows and Windows Store Policies . The Windows design guidelines are guidelines, not requirements.
    • Marked as answer by WardH Wednesday, May 06, 2015 3:47 AM
    Tuesday, April 28, 2015 5:26 AM
    Owner
  • While this is the C# forum, you might want to check out try.buildwinjs.com to see what the javascript layouts will look like.  It might give you ideas on how to setup your C# app.

The splitview in WinJS can be customized to appear just as a hamburger button on the phone with a menu that opens from the left when you hit the button.  Or, on a larger screen, the button menu is always present and actually moves the main content when expanded.

However, I'm not sure what's going to happen to the pivot view.  It's not available on C# for Windows, but it is available in WinJS for Windows (large screen sizes).

Lee McPherson

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 2:17 PM

All replies

• The Universal app templates are the ones that make the most sense for both Windows and Windows Phone. For example, the Pivot control is not available for Windows 8.1 and so can't appear in a Windows 8.1 template. Similarly, the Split app template uses more screen space than easily fits on a phone.

There isn't an exhaustive list of valid layouts: you can use whatever works best for your app. You do not need to limit yourself to the provided templates. They are just common starting points.

For more information on modern app design see http://design.windows.com

• Marked as answer by WardH Sunday, April 26, 2015 7:23 AM
    Sunday, April 26, 2015 6:11 AM
    Owner
  • Rob,

Thanks for the clarification that was great. Another question if I may. I thought that Microsoft would test our apps to make sure they meet certain visual design guidelines to be accepted into the Windows App Store - is that correct or am I mistaken?

Thanks,

Ward

Sunday, April 26, 2015 7:23 AM
  • You can find the app certification requirements in the Windows and Windows Store Policies . The Windows design guidelines are guidelines, not requirements.
    Tuesday, April 28, 2015 5:26 AM
    Owner
  • While this is the C# forum, you might want to check out try.buildwinjs.com to see what the javascript layouts will look like.  It might give you ideas on how to setup your C# app.

The splitview in WinJS can be customized to appear just as a hamburger button on the phone with a menu that opens from the left when you hit the button.  Or, on a larger screen, the button menu is always present and actually moves the main content when expanded.

However, I'm not sure what's going to happen to the pivot view.  It's not available on C# for Windows, but it is available in WinJS for Windows (large screen sizes).

Lee McPherson

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 2:17 PM
  • Hi,

Thankyou for your response.

Ward

Wednesday, May 06, 2015 3:48 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks great extra info.

Ward.

Wednesday, May 06, 2015 3:48 AM