none
[Xbox Creators Program] Clarrification sought on requirement to "...sign the user in to Xbox Live..." to allow access to game RRS feed

• Question

• In the policy it states:

Games that use Xbox Live must:

• Establish at least one active user and sign the user in to Xbox Live.

Given this, does this mean the user must have an internet connection to play an Xbox Creators Program game?  If they are offline they are not allowed to play the game?  

Can someone from Microsoft please confirm / clarify?

thanks

• Edited by Rygaar Wednesday, October 11, 2017 9:18 PM format
    Wednesday, October 11, 2017 9:18 PM

Answers

• The intent of the quoted portion of the policy is to require Creators Program games to offer the ability for the user to sign in. That being said, if you enable one of the following scenarios, which are governed by the parental and service controls, you must require the user has successfully signed in to Xbox Live before you allow them access:

1. Online multiplayer (which can be done on PC via other 3rd party services)
    2. User generated content
    3. Allow for user communication (chatting, for example)

There should be no concern around an internet connection for these scenarios, since they would be required for the functionality to work. We are working to update the policy to make these requirements more clear. 

• Marked as answer by Yecats Thursday, October 12, 2017 4:28 PM
    • Edited by Yecats Thursday, October 12, 2017 4:30 PM
    Thursday, October 12, 2017 4:28 PM

All replies

• The intent of the quoted portion of the policy is to require Creators Program games to offer the ability for the user to sign in. That being said, if you enable one of the following scenarios, which are governed by the parental and service controls, you must require the user has successfully signed in to Xbox Live before you allow them access:

1. Online multiplayer (which can be done on PC via other 3rd party services)
    2. User generated content
    3. Allow for user communication (chatting, for example)

There should be no concern around an internet connection for these scenarios, since they would be required for the functionality to work. We are working to update the policy to make these requirements more clear. 

• Marked as answer by Yecats Thursday, October 12, 2017 4:28 PM
    • Edited by Yecats Thursday, October 12, 2017 4:30 PM
    Thursday, October 12, 2017 4:28 PM
  • Hi Stacey. Based on what you have said, it would seem that Creators games that do not use online functionality should not be required to force the user to log into Xbox Live.

If that is true, why are games being failed in Windows Store certification for not forcing Xbox Live login?

Thanks,

Mike

Thursday, October 12, 2017 9:30 PM
  • So why are we being failed by app testers when we are only offering access to leaderboards.... - and the app can function perfectly happily without logging in etc
    Friday, October 13, 2017 6:07 PM
  • Hi Stacey. Based on what you have said, it would seem that Creators games that do not use online functionality should not be required to force the user to log into Xbox Live.

If that is true, why are games being failed in Windows Store certification for not forcing Xbox Live login?

Thanks,

Mike

This is an area in which the policy has evolved since launch. We have updated our tester guidance recently, so you should not be encountering any more scenarios like this.  If an application has been failed within the last few weeks for this, please PM me and I can take a look. For games that were submitted over 2 weeks ago, please resubmit to the store.  

• Edited by Yecats Monday, October 16, 2017 8:14 PM
    • Proposed as answer by moheiji Friday, October 20, 2017 9:02 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by moheiji Friday, October 20, 2017 9:02 PM
    Monday, October 16, 2017 8:14 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification, Stacey. Not requiring users to sign in if no online functionality is required seems like a much more user-friendly policy.
    Tuesday, October 17, 2017 1:55 AM
  • Hi Stacey,

Possibly stupid question, but can't see how to PM you.  How do I do that?

thanks

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 10:46 AM
  • Stacey (or someone from Microsoft), can you please contact me. I keep getting random certification failures on this out of the blue. Thanks
    Wednesday, November 8, 2017 10:50 AM
  • Could you send me an e-mail?
    • Edited by Yecats Wednesday, November 8, 2017 10:28 PM
    Wednesday, November 8, 2017 5:43 PM
  • Will do.  Thanks.
    Wednesday, November 8, 2017 9:08 PM
  • This brings up a question for me. My game is a local multiplayer game. However I'm having issues with my middle ware (construct2). being that it only seems to allow for one user to be signed in. For an offline game that saves no data to profiles, Do I need to sign all the players in, just the first, or are both optional?
    Tuesday, November 14, 2017 8:18 PM