blob metadata size limits RRS feed

• Question

• the scant documentation I've come across states that there is an 8 KB size limit on metadata for an azure block blob. However, it doesn't specify whether this limitation applies to a single name/value pair or all the combined name/value pairs. 

Could someone please clarify this point?

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 6:06 PM

Answers

• Greetings Glenn,

We've just verified this and can confirm that the 8 KB limit is enforced for the total size of all metadata. This calculation includes the keys, the colons after each key, as well as the new line at the end of each metadata header.

We're also going to update the related docs to reflect this better and make it more explicit.
    Thanks for taking the time to test it out and also for bringing it to our attention.

Regards.
    Md. Shihab

• Edited by Md Shihab Wednesday, January 25, 2017 4:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Glenn Venzke Wednesday, January 25, 2017 8:30 PM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2017 4:04 AM

All replies

• Hi Glenn,

Thanks for posting here!

The 8 KB size limit is specified for each name-value pair associated with the blob as metadata. Please do note that beginning with version 2009-09-19, metadata names must adhere to the naming rules for C# identifiers.

Hope this helps! 

Regards.
    Md. Shihab

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you as this can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. And vote as helpful.

• Marked as answer by Glenn Venzke Wednesday, November 16, 2016 10:30 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Glenn Venzke Wednesday, January 18, 2017 4:35 PM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2016 3:20 AM
  • hate to burst your bubble, but we've discovered through trial and error that your answer is incorrect. Internal testing shows that, in fact the 8k limit applies to ALL combined metadata.

I must say I'm rather disappointed in this development. We spent the last couple of months building our application with this false assumption in mind.  Now, we find ourselves back-peddling with less than a month left to meet our deadline. 

Is it unreasonable to expect you guys to know your own product? I don't think so! Now I question the usefulness of these forums, altogether!

• Edited by Glenn Venzke Wednesday, January 18, 2017 4:48 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2017 4:26 PM
  • Greetings Glenn,

Thank you for getting back to us. 

Apologies for the inconvenience there. I am engaging with our internal teams on this and will get back to you. 

Regards.

Md. Shihab

• Edited by Md Shihab Thursday, January 19, 2017 6:35 AM
    Thursday, January 19, 2017 6:34 AM
  • Greetings Glenn,

We've just verified this and can confirm that the 8 KB limit is enforced for the total size of all metadata. This calculation includes the keys, the colons after each key, as well as the new line at the end of each metadata header.

We're also going to update the related docs to reflect this better and make it more explicit.
    Thanks for taking the time to test it out and also for bringing it to our attention.

Regards.
    Md. Shihab

• Edited by Md Shihab Wednesday, January 25, 2017 4:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Glenn Venzke Wednesday, January 25, 2017 8:30 PM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2017 4:04 AM