Can't install .NET3.5 on windows 8.1 in any way RRS feed

• Question

• Clean install of windows 8 from usb, fully updated and upgraded to 8.1. Now need to install VS2008 but .NET3.5 installation always fail. I check everything but without any lack: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh506443(v=vs.110).aspx

1) Install on demand always return 0x800f0906 - but my connection is ok! System successfully updating, have internet connection and do not have any software to prevent connection.

2) enabling through Control Panel - same result

3) dsim - error with both images (original 8.0 and specially downloaded for this case 8.1)

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 6.3.9600.17031

Image Version: 6.3.9600.17031

Enabling feature(s)

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found. 
    Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Source option is valid, sxs folder exists and available. But always get log, that included:

2014-08-25 21:13:47, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=2816 TID=3736 Routing the command... - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine
    2014-08-25 21:13:47, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=2816 TID=3736 Encountered the option "featurename" with value "NetFx3" - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::Private_GetPackagesFromCommandLine
    2014-08-25 21:13:47, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=2816 TID=3736 Encountered an unknown option "featurename" with value "NetFx3" - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::Private_GetPackagesFromCommandLine
    2014-08-25 21:13:47, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=2816 TID=3736 Encountered the option "source" with value "e:\sources\sxs" - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::Private_GetPackagesFromCommandLine
    2014-08-25 21:13:47, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=2816 TID=3736 Encountered an unknown option "source" with value "e:\sources\sxs" - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::Private_GetPackagesFromCommandLine
    2014-08-25 21:13:47, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=2816 TID=3736 Initiating Changes on Package with values: 5, 7 - CDISMPackage::Internal_ChangePackageState
    2014-08-25 21:13:47, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=2816 TID=3736 CBS session options=0x20100! - CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize
    2014-08-25 21:13:56, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=2816 TID=768  Error in operation: source for package or file not found, ResolveSource() unsuccessful. (CBS HRESULT=0x800f081f) - CCbsConUIHandler::Error
    2014-08-25 21:13:56, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=2816 TID=3736 Failed finalizing changes. - CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize(hr:0x800f081f)
    2014-08-25 21:13:56, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=2816 TID=3736 The source files could not be found; their location must be specified using the /source option to restore the feature. - GetCbsErrorMsg
    2014-08-25 21:13:56, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=2816 TID=3736 Failed processing package changes with session options - CDISMPackageManager::ProcessChangesWithOptions(hr:0x800f081f)
    2014-08-25 21:13:56, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=2816 TID=3736 Failed ProcessChanges. - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::Private_ProcessFeatureChange(hr:0x800f081f)
    2014-08-25 21:13:57, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=2816 TID=3736 Failed while processing command enable-feature. - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine(hr:0x800f081f)

How it can be that at first option found <<Encountered the option "source" with value "e:\sources\sxs">> but on next line it treated as unknown option! <<Encountered an unknown option "source" with value "e:\sources\sxs">>

Is there any way to fix this and enable .NET3.5?!

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 12:38 AM

Answers

• Sorry, I'm giving up.

Download and install image "en_windows_8.1_with_update_x64_dvd_4065090.iso", first step (even before manufacture drivers) turn option ON. It was successfully installed.

>> Have you tried that yet? ... method 2.

Tried this,do not fix the problem. And please, notice, that system was in default state, no gropu policy editing was performed, no any administrator actions on system.

And after finding a lot of error reports with same symptoms I'm pretty sure that the problem is in localized Windows versions, it seems exactly localized version have this problem with downloading this feature from Windows update or installing from image.

• Marked as answer by Barry Wang Friday, August 29, 2014 8:33 AM
    Thursday, August 28, 2014 8:36 PM

All replies

• Hello alex,

Please see this blog http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2734782

Resolution for error code 0x800F081F

This error code can occur when an alternative installation source is specified and one of the following conditions is true:

• The location that is specified by the path does not contain the files that are required to install the feature.
    • The user who tries to install the feature does not have at least READ access to the location and to the files.
    • The set of installation files is corrupted, incomplete, or invalid for the version of Windows that you are running.

To resolve this problem, make sure that the full path of the source is correct (x:\sources\sxs) and that you have at least Read access to the location. To do this, try to access the source directly from the affected computer. Verify that the installation source contains a valid and complete set of files. If the problem persists, try to use a different installation source.

Furthermore, have you ever tried to copy your SxS folder to some other local place, not just leave them in your image.

Regards,

Barry
    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 7:16 AM
  • >> Furthermore, have you ever tried to copy your SxS folder to some other local place, not just leave them in your image.

Yes, I tried this also, with same result.

>> The location that is specified by the path does not contain the files that are required to install the feature.

Location is ok.

>> The user who tries to install the feature does not have at least READ access to the location and to the files.

Permissions is ok.

>> The set of installation files is corrupted, incomplete

Also not my case.

>>  or invalid for the version of Windows that you are running

But this is I think my case, but I can't understand what version I need.

Once more:

1) Used this image initially "ru_windows_8_x64_dvd_915419.iso" (names are original from MSDN)

2) Update it to 8.1

3) Find that .Net3.5 not isntalled

4) tries to use same image - no luck

5) download "ru_windows_8.1_with_update_x64_dvd_4048362.iso", use this but same result

6) installed EN language pack, switch to EN - same result

What image should I use? I think that my version treated as different from both of this images.

And why my installed and successfully connected and updated version can't get this feature online? Why I always get error although I can successfully and without any problems get updates from Microsoft?

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:31 AM
  • Hi Alex,

Actually one of my customer has the same issue and has solved it by setting his policy when he cannot fix that 0x800f0906 error. Have you tried that yet? It is also listed on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2734782/en-us method 2.

This behavior can also be caused by a system administrator who configures the computer to use Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) instead of the Microsoft Windows Update server for servicing. In this case, contact your system administrator and request that they enable the Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair Group Policy setting and configure the Alternate source file path value or select the Contact Windows Update directly to download repair content instead of Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) option.

For the ISO, since it is updated from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, actually I suppose the two ISO should both works. I don't remember .NET 3.5 has changed when update from 8 to 8.1. Have you meet any problem when upgrade? If even group policy doesn't help, please try use sfc /scannow http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb491008.aspx. We may need to check your system files first.

Regards,

Barry
    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Edited by Barry Wang Wednesday, August 27, 2014 9:53 AM
    Wednesday, August 27, 2014 9:48 AM
  • Sorry, I'm giving up.

Download and install image "en_windows_8.1_with_update_x64_dvd_4065090.iso", first step (even before manufacture drivers) turn option ON. It was successfully installed.

>> Have you tried that yet? ... method 2.

Tried this,do not fix the problem. And please, notice, that system was in default state, no gropu policy editing was performed, no any administrator actions on system.

And after finding a lot of error reports with same symptoms I'm pretty sure that the problem is in localized Windows versions, it seems exactly localized version have this problem with downloading this feature from Windows update or installing from image.

• Marked as answer by Barry Wang Friday, August 29, 2014 8:33 AM
    Thursday, August 28, 2014 8:36 PM
  • @alex,

Thanks for coming back with your result. Actually I've also submit this issue in order to get some attention. Since I haven't reproduce this issue yet I cannot be sure that it is a default behavior. And if we can confirm it is actually the problem, here is a good channel https://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio

However I guess the problem may pending on the upgrade of your OS. And to investigate the issue we may need more detailed log info, for example, a Windows dump file is required. However it is out of the forum support scope. If you want to further check the problem, you can submit this case to above link.

Best Regards,

Barry

Friday, August 29, 2014 8:33 AM