Workflow for custom alert on Sharepoint 2010 Calendar RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to create a Workflow in Sharepoint Designer to send an alert (e-mail) to the group manager of a certain resource every time an item it's created/modified on calendar and it's resource is included. How should I begin this?

Thank you,
    Yuri.

Friday, August 13, 2010 2:07 PM

Answers

• Open the site in SharePoint Designer 2010 and create a workflow on that list that sends an email whenever your condition is met.  You could also set an actual alert, since that's what you called it, by going to Actions > Set an Alert.  Here, you have multiple options for when an alert should be sent and to whom it should be sent.  What you would probably need to do is create a custom view that includes the resource in question, and then set the alert for any change to items in this view.  Then, the manager would get alerted any time an item with that resource changed.
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Friday, August 20, 2010 5:55 AM
    Monday, August 16, 2010 5:00 AM

All replies

• Open the site in SharePoint Designer 2010 and create a workflow on that list that sends an email whenever your condition is met.  You could also set an actual alert, since that's what you called it, by going to Actions > Set an Alert.  Here, you have multiple options for when an alert should be sent and to whom it should be sent.  What you would probably need to do is create a custom view that includes the resource in question, and then set the alert for any change to items in this view.  Then, the manager would get alerted any time an item with that resource changed.
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Friday, August 20, 2010 5:55 AM
    Monday, August 16, 2010 5:00 AM
  • Grate post Mr. Clayton,

But I could not see "Set an Alerts" command in "Action" tab<!-- [if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-IN</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520092929 1073786111 9 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0cm; margin-right:0cm; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page Section1 {size:595.3pt 841.9pt; margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> .

Thank you A. Shilambuselvan
    Monday, October 18, 2010 4:41 PM
  • Hey Clayton,

I have a simular issue.  I am trying to create a Workflow Template that will allow me to create a Calendar event in the SharePoint 2010 calendar and assign a 30 day notice (either a reminder or an email with the item attached) then a 7 day and then a 1 day.

I assume I will need to create 3 seperate Workflows, but, they do not give me the options I am looking for (or I am looking for the wrong things) and the alternative of setting reminders (then resetting and resetting) is not possible with the amount of items I need to do this with.

Any suggestions or recommended 3rd party products that do this?

thanks

Thursday, March 22, 2012 6:17 PM