Detecting the mode of logon from a service RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is it possible to know whether a user has logged in through SAS or Smart card login, within a service that listens to the logon notifications?

thanks in advance.

Friday, June 27, 2008 4:46 PM

All replies

•  

[3 posts for the same question...]

I don't think so. In any case it wouldn't be very reliable (user logs on with SC, locks, unlocks with password. Is it still a SC logon?).

Friday, July 4, 2008 12:56 AM
  • Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply.

>> In any case it wouldn't be very reliable (user logs on with SC, locks, unlocks with password. Is it still a SC logon?).

Yes it would be considered as an SC logon only.

If it is not possible to detect whether the user has logged in through smart card or not from a service, can you suggest alternatives?

Thank you

Sunday, July 6, 2008 4:27 PM
  • Well, that's your opinion.

My opinion is that the logom type should be the least secure that's been used to logon/unlock/reconnect.

I believe most people interested in this type of "authentication strength" would agree.

There's an easy way to be sure. If the user doesn't have a password (SC logon only user), then it's pretty safe!

Also, I believe there's a logon policy that requires SC logon for all users on a particular machine.

Otherwise, you have to get involved in the logon operation (GINA or Credential Provider).

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 12:29 AM